Peacock very noisy

BachelorHans

Hatching
Nov 30, 2020
Hello! Last year I got a peacock and a few guinea chickens. The guy who sold them to me said it would be fine if the peacock didn't have a mate and so I happily brought them to my home and it was allright for a few months. However, since I live in the southern hemisphere breeding season started a few months ago and the peacock has been getting noisy. I'm wondering if bringing a female would make him less noisy? Or if there is maybe another way to make him silent? P

Peacocks naturally call during breeding season each year, but you could try to confine him so that he can't find a high place to call from and see if that helps. Peafowl are social and prefer to be with their own kind over guineas or any other species. Peafowl's high noise level are something to consider before acquiring them, but housing him with females might prevent him from calling to far away birds as often. Only one male can be housed with a number of females, though, so Its important to either buy adult females or make sure the breeder does a DNA sexing test on any chicks you get.

Peacocks naturally call during breeding season each year, but you could try to confine him so that he can't find a high place to call from and see if that helps. Peafowl are social and prefer to be with their own kind over guineas or any other species. Peafowl's high noise level are something to consider before acquiring them, but housing him with females might prevent him from calling to far away birds as often. Only one male can be housed with a number of females, though, so Its important to either buy adult females or make sure the breeder does a DNA sexing test on any chicks you get.
Thanks a lot for responding! I will try to get an adult female for him and hope he calms down a bit. Cheers!

Be sure you keep the hen penned for a while before letting her out as she'll wander off lickity split if you just turn her loose with him.
That's a very good point, since you are getting an adult, I would recommend keeping her confined for at least a few months in an area with a shelter and run for outside access. They also need a large enough area for breeding so that the male can display for the female. Also, I recommend quarantining her for a month separate from any other birds you may have if possible. This is important to limit the risk of disease introduction to your male since these things can also be carried for quite a while without showing and are very dangerous. Some diseases spread rapidly and cannot be cured, also spreading to any offspring from the infected bird, so quarantine is very important. If they are kept separate, the male will still be able to hear her and will know she is there. I'm not sure if that will make him call more or less, but be warned, males make another loud call when displaying for a female that sounds like a loud Meow. :confused:

When my peacock was 5 months old I bought a 5 month old female pea hen. So they grew up together. They eventually had a daughter which I kept. So the peacock had two females to breed. But he was still very noisy in the breeding season. It's just the nature of the bird to call when it's time to breed.

He would also breed one of the chicken hens that he bonded to as a chick. And he would follow the guineas around and I'm not sure but he may have tried to breed guinea hens. The male guineas were always trying to run him off to protect their hens. So when it is breeding season a male is going to try to breed whatever is available.

I loved my pea fowl but finally decided to rehome them this summer. I still miss them but my life is a lot easier now..... ;)

Just wanted to tell you my experience with them.

We live in a somewhat rural area. Lot sizes 1-5 acres. We had neighbors move in across the street years ago and they have peacocks. They scream ALL THE TIME!! Year round! At night after dark. Anytime. And they make loud honking noises when they are alarmed - like when our dogs chase them out of our yard. I can't tell you the times people have been at our house and said, "is that a woman screaming" To me they do sound like loud cats. Remember the bird noises that all the old Tarzan jungle movies used to have in the background? Yep, that is it. And I gather they themselves don't like loud noises because if someone with a loud vehicle (like the garbage truck) goes by or when our other neighbors do (I guess) target practice & you hear gun shots, the peafowl scream. I guess we have kinda gotten used to it but sometimes it is annoying.

Back
Top Bottom