peacock with swollen eye-UPDATE

Phoenix on his favorite amusement park ride...I have a picture of his eye too that I'll post when my phone is done charging, but this is a nicer picture.
smile.png

That's exactly what it was like too like a lizard losing it's tail. It was like she just released them. And I've battled enough chickens and the other peafowl and never seen anything like that!
And I'm into horses, too. Though not as much anymore
OK, well, I will stop the Cipro and start the Denagard tomorrow. Everybody's still ok. Peahens were looking at me through the barn door when I went out this
afternoon, huddled together, both turned tail and ran,
hmm.png
but both were up in the rafters at bedtime, so they're ok. Jeeshh.

This has happened to us many times, don't worry there is nothing wrong with your hen, they can release the feathers (and if she was up in the rafters her wing is probably fine). It is a means of escaping predators and leaving them with nothing but a mouthful of feathers. For some reason it does not seem to happen with the males, at least not mine. When I have to wrangle my peas, I always use a net on my hens and I seldom use one for the boys, if they have a nice long train they are easy catch. After cornering them I just grab as much of that train as I can fit in my hand and hold on. They will run in place and flap like crazy, but not go anywhere, I just let them tire themselves out a little that way and then I can get a better hold on them. Probably sounds odd to some, but I've been doing it like that for years with no injuries to myself or them so far.
fl.gif

Good thanks, I'll remember that if I have to! We have a big fishnet that works great for catching the chickens....I'll be sure to use it on the peahens next time. And good to know that about the peacocks as I'm afraid we might have to confine Phoenix soon to make sure he drinks enough Denagard....raining like crazy here and he'll just go outside and drink rainwater, I'm afraid. I'm gonna make strawberry/bread balls (he's now looking forward to his twice daily installment of strawberries
smile.png
) soak them in the Denagard solution and get some into him that way, then see if he drinks the water on his own, before we try to confine him.

OK, I will keep those in mind too. How much? I put 2.5 tbsp of Karo in one gallon of med water today, I could tell they noticed a taste change because everyone would drink, shake their heads, and I could tell they were saying wth???
wink.png
It did seem to neutralize the smell of that stuff...it stinks, so I can only imagine how it must taste.
sickbyc.gif
Phoenix happily gobbled down his med soaked strawberry bread balls. He is eating much better now.

Last edited:
The swelling around his eye is almost all gone. But it looks to me like the the third eyelid is still over the eye, it looks sort of....dead.
Do you think it will return to normal? I am getting worried.

can you post a picture? Most likely not LOL I perfer to give the bird a shot if I can cause it stays in the birds system a little longer. When giving meds orally they seem to go through the bird quicker and the bird tends to take longer to heal. Again I have never used Cipro on my birds and Kathy said it is suppose to be equal to Baytril - I guess not. I have news a peacocks train will pull out when pulled so do not use his train to catch him. I stepped on my bird's train and I have the feathers in my basement to prove it. If you use a net the birds will be afraid of you. My friend used a net and to this day she cannot get near her birds. I have to come over and catch them for her. One day I am going to post a video on ways to catch peas LOL I NEVER grabbed a bird by the tail and when the feathers do come out your bird will bleed from it.

Last edited:
can you post a picture? Most likely not LOL I perfer to give the bird a shot if I can cause it stays in the birds system a little longer. When giving meds orally they seem to go through the bird quicker and the bird tends to take longer to heal. Again I have never used Cipro on my birds and Kathy said it is suppose to be equal to Baytril - I guess not. I have news a peacocks train will pull out when pulled so do not use his train to catch him. I stepped on my bird's train and I have the feathers in my basement to prove it. If you use a net the birds will be afraid of you. My friend used a net and to this day she cannot get near her birds. I have to come over and catch them for her. One day I am going to post a video on ways to catch peas LOL I NEVER grabbed a bird by the tail and when the feathers do come out your bird will bleed from it.

Interesting, in 19 years we have never had a males train pull out, unless he was already molting feathers from it. We also never had much bleeding when it did happen with our hens, as I said it is a natural defense against being caught by a predator, wouldn't make much sense for it to happen and then have the hens die of blood loss. I just caught an IB male on Sat. to put him into a different pen, got him by the train and held it for a min or two until he quit flapping so much and then picked him up, he didn't lose a single feather. Perhaps they require an all out panic reaction to lose the feathers and mine are so used to this, that it no longer engenders panic? I think it best that everybody figures out what works best for them, obviously everyone on here has different methods and different opinions, so each person should probably try several of them and decide what you are most comfortable with.

I think all I ever said was that Cipro is the human equivalent of Baytril and that some vets and poultry enthusiasts prefer it to Baytril. Animals can have Cipro, but Baytril can cause hallucinations in people, I think. There is also a new one in the same class, it's called Orbax, but I know nothing about it.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom