peacock with swollen eye-UPDATE

Think everyone's got dramas, that's part of the fun.
roll.png
I can't put the stuff in his eyes til we catch him, but it's stuff that is specifically for poultry. I probably won't be able to catch him til Wednesday, when my daughter comes home to help me. My husband won't be much use at all..sighhh. Well, maybe.... Anyway, in the meantime, tonight he was roosting in the rafters of the barn, and he had a full crop, so that's good. He was not getting much to eat til I realized what was going on, I fed him up all by himself in the yard this afternoon, and he got his own waterer, too, that he scratched full of dirt later,
smile.png
so he's happier now.....I'll let you know how he does.

He hasn't done much for the paint on my car, but I can't resist the car riding. At least he hangs on the front , where the windshield wipers are...
smile.png

Chicknmania
You need to catch the bird first before giving an antibiotic. If the swelling is hard then no antibiotic is going to work because there is no way it can disolve a harden cyst. If the cyst is soft the antibiotic will work. Please take a moment to see this thread and let me know how big the cyst is and if it looks the same: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/504944/swollen-side-of-face-cyst-surgery After you catch the bird hold the legs together so they are sticking straight out under the tail and with the other hand support the chest and the bird will not fight you. Feel the face if the lump is hard to the touch you or a vet will need to open up his face just like in the thread. If it is soft then give him the antibiotic DO NOT put the ointment in his eye at all. His eye is fine and the ointment will not help him. A picture is the best thing you can do and post. The cyst is caused by a respiratory infection, the mucus from it hardens in the nasel cavity and it grows until under the eye swells. If not fixed the bird can go blind in the eye. Catching him is key so you can get a hands on examination of his face.

Last edited:
In the link I gave you look at page 9 post 82 it shows a soft swelling and notice the dried mucus on the nostril and beak this is what starts the cyst. In post 84 shows the healing, I did give the bird a 2cc shot of baytril and that was it. I did not give him anymore baytril. As you can see in 3 days the swelling was almost gone. I finished up with a shot of Tylan 200 about 0.75cc (between 0.5 and1cc/ml) When the swelling is large like in my pictures I use Baytril first. I do not know if there is any side issues using a human antibiotic like Cipro. Some of the antibiotics need to be mixed with distilled water so they do not harm the inside of the bird but I know nothing about Cipro so I would not use it on my bird. I use what I know works like tylan 200 and Baytril (when need be or last resort). The only info I could find on Cipro in poultry is 50mg less and says needs to be mixed in water so if you decide that you want to use that drug it is your choice but I do not know the effects it will have on the bird
sad.png

If the swelling is a hard cyst it will need to be removed. I am sure if you do not know how to do it or are unsure of doing it I am sure I can find a breeder in Ohio who can help you remove it. After the removal I recommend a shot of Baytril cause the side of the face will be opened. Keep the bird inside a box overnite to help the cut heal and he cannot scratch at it. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I am PMing you my phone number
wink.png

Cipro is used in birds, just like many other human drugs are.

I agree that if the swelling is hard it needs to be removed, period, but 2ml of 10% Baytril (100mg/ml) is more than I would use. If he were mine and ~5kg I would give him no more than 1ml once (20mg/kg) or .5ml twice a day (10mg/kg) and I would give it orally. Yes, it can be given subcutaneously (under the skin), but I prefer to give it orally as it can cause injection site reactions.

When in doubt, consult a vet.

-Kathy

I always give the my bird a 2 day shot cause chances of me catching them again are slim. I cannot reach them in my rafters. She stated that she cannot catch him until her daughter comes over. I believe Baytril needs to be mixed with water if given orally so it doesn't damage the trachea, I was told by Deerman to put it between the wings at the base of the neck cause it stays in the bird's system longer and it will not damage the muscles like it does in the breast. Never had any bad reaction doing it this way and the bird'a bounce back very quickly. Normally everyone gives baytril at 1cc per day, if you read my thread that is what they recommended but I went with what Deerman told me in a PM. He said first shot is more then the second but instead of constantly using baytril to switch to Tylan 200 for the second if I need to give another shot. He was firm about using Baytril as needed or when tylan didn't work. He always told everyone Tylan 200 LOL

Last edited:
The bird Cipro is 200mg powder mixed in water she is giving a 250mg tablet cut into quarters I have no clue is it will cause damage

Last edited:
I will post a picture of his eye if I can get a good shot. He's in the barn today and the light is not as good as outside of course.
Cipro 250 is fine to use, we have used it many times on our birds. And we ordered it specifically for treatment of our birds, from 1st State., some
time ago.

The eye actually does look like the swelling is going down. But he does not feel well. If he quits eating we are going to have problems.
He did eat very well yesterday, but just not as well today.

His eye doesn't really look like that picture, though of course it would vary. It's more in his eye, not his face, and his eye is partly open.

Can you weigh him? I have found that to be the single most useful thing to do when trying to figure out what's wrong with them.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom