peacock with swollen eye-UPDATE

Can you weigh him? I have found that to be the single most useful thing to do when trying to figure out what's wrong with them.

-Kathy
Ok if she cannot catch him how will she weigh him and what weight is she going to judge it by? I have a bronze hen that doesn't gain weight. She hardly eats and has been this way for over a year but her crop is full everynight.

I will post a picture of his eye if I can get a good shot. He's in the barn today and the light is not as good as outside of course.
Cipro 250 is fine to use, we have used it many times on our birds. And we ordered it specifically for treatment of our birds, from 1st State., some
time ago.

The eye actually does look like the swelling is going down. But he does not feel well. If he quits eating we are going to have problems.
He did eat very well yesterday, but just not as well today.

His eye doesn't really look like that picture, though of course it would vary. It's more in his eye, not his face, and his eye is partly open.
My question is ok you got it for the treatment of your birds but how is it suppose to be given? Is the tablets suppose to be dissolved in water? I know for a fact that my chickens drink much more water then my peafowl. I do know that if giving a baytril pill the bird needs food in it's stomach does Cipro need the same? Why Cipro and not tylan (just curious)?

Can you weigh him? I have found that to be the single most useful thing to do when trying to figure out what's wrong with them.

-Kathy

Ok if she cannot catch him how will she weigh him and what weight is she going to judge it by? I have a bronze hen that doesn't gain weight. She hardly eats and has been this way for over a year but her crop is full everynight. 

Getting a baseline weight on a bird is always a good idea and there are many ways one can do it.

-Kathy

No, I can't weigh him for the reasons already stated. Cipro is, as far as I know, the most powerful antibiotic available on the market right now. It has done an excellent job in
the past for us. Yes, you give it orally, and I can give it to him in a treat. I give it to him right before breakfast, and again right before dinner. As far as I know it is not necessary to
be given with food. WE have Cipro because that is what was recommended that we use for another situation, and since we bought 100 tabs, we have plenty.

He seems to be feeling better, and the swelling is going down some, but he eye is swollen shut now. He is eating better though.

I did get a pic of the eye but not a close up , he won't allow it. I will post it later, gotta get some work done. Spending so much time out there dealing with the flock, gah!!!
roll.png

Last edited:
I ordered Denagard for the possible MG and it arrived today, so I will start the whole flock on it tomorrow.
No one is particularly sick, a couple have mild respiratory symptoms, and/ or eye problems.
Here's the reason that I don't like to catch them, though. I noticed that Snap had string or something wrapped around her foot.
I wanted to get it off asap, so eventually I was able to trap both her and Sweetpea in the chicken tractor. I caught Snap and she
didn't throw a fit, but the string was gone. This totally confused me, I thought maybe I made a mistake, so I tried to catch Sweetpea
who was in there too. to check HER feet. I might as well have tried to catch a tiger in my bare hands, she just went berserk. In the process I pulled out
several, and I do mean several, of her feathers. I was astonished at how easily she lost them, and I'm afraid I might have damaged her,
as she was slightly trailing one wing, and of course now they are both terrified of me.

I am really worried about her and also why she lost feathers so easily. She is a totally different personality than our
other peahen, Princess, was. Do they normally lose feathers easier than a chicken would? It wasn't like I grabbed her
totally by the feathers ,they just seemed to sort of fall off of her,. I was trying to grab her around the body.
I should have used a net, but didn't think I'd need it, since she was already confined.

Also, what does anyone think of the Denagard stuff? Haven't used it before....and should I use it on top of the Cipro? Should I use both?

I think some birds can release their feathers, like a lizard does with it's tail. Many times I have tried to catch pigeon and ended up with nothing but a handful of tail feathers. Wrangling peafowl can be dangerous to the wrangler and the bird, so I understand why you're hesitant. I have lots of experience with horses, so maybe that's why it's easier for me, but maybe not? Personally, I don't worry if they lose some feathers, I worry about injuring a leg or wing.

Denagard is tiamulin and I think it's a pretty darn good antibiotic. I'm not a vet, but I would think it's probably not a good idea to give it with Cipro. This shows what it will treat:
http://www.octagon-services.co.uk/articles/poultry/gamebirds.pdf

-Kathy

Last edited:
That's exactly what it was like too like a lizard losing it's tail. It was like she just released them. And I've battled enough chickens and the other peafowl and never seen anything like that!
And I'm into horses, too. Though not as much anymore
OK, well, I will stop the Cipro and start the Denagard tomorrow. Everybody's still ok. Peahens were looking at me through the barn door when I went out this
afternoon, huddled together, both turned tail and ran,
hmm.png
but both were up in the rafters at bedtime, so they're ok. Jeeshh.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom