Peacock with swollen pink eye Vet has no idea of the cause!

AandAranch

Songster
Aug 10, 2013
Eastern South Dakota
My white peacock is almost 2 years old, large, and not under fed at all. He is still active and still eating and drinking but for the last few weeks his right eye ( just the right eye) has been pink and just in the last couple weeks has begun to swell up. He's been wormed, I already treated his eye with Vetericynn, a topical antibiotic, and a few days treatment of Tylan 200. I took him into the avian vet and he had no idea what's caused it. As far as the vet can tell my peacock has no communicable diseases and nothing behind his eye nor is the soft tissue around the eye inflamed. The vet said the soft tissue actually looks perfectly fine. It is his ACTUAL EYE that is swollen, nothing else. Vet said he has seen this in turkeys but usually just culls, not solve or cure the issue. I was wondering if anyone here has ever experienced this? Just to reiterate this bird has been vet checked, has no diseases or respiratory issues, and the soft tissue around the eye is fine. There is no liquid or anything that can be lanced or any liquid to expell. It is his actual eye itself and it is pink and swollen to twice the size it should be. If anyone has had any experience with this please let me know. I love this bird and desperately want to save him AND his eye.

Like this?
IMG_6646.JPG
IMG_6647.JPG

Poor baby. I don’t have any idea what it could be either. I have had this stuff work miracles for eye issue in humans & animals

https://www.amazon.com/Avenova-Eyel...ae3-0539-4250-ad39-b698e0b800f6&tag=hydsma-20

I would personally also try warm packs & tea bags to try and help with the swelling. But without any diagnosis of the cause it’s hard to say. Hopefully someone will come on here whose dealt with the issue before🤞🏽

Glad to see some replies! I was losing all hope! It looks similar to that @kskingbe but it has more of a cloudy look as well and all around swollen instead of just the lower half. Here's some pics. It is TWICE as swollen as that today. We did a warm compress and I feel it made it worse. Vet said he checked behind the eye and there was nothing there. He said he didnt want to remove it because he didnt want to put it under and risk having it die because of the anesthesia. We rinsed it with saline and bought vetrycin for pink eye. Nothing has helped yet. I'm at an absolute lost here.

Attachments

• Resized_20200801_211715.jpeg
    Resized_20200801_211715.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Resized_20200801_211659.jpeg
    Resized_20200801_211659.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Resized_20200801_211731.jpeg
    Resized_20200801_211731.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 7
Yes, that is how ours started as well. We did have the eye removed as you can see by the pics and she did live for a few weeks but died anyway, probably from an infection. The operation was risky and it took four of us to do it. I held the bird, my wife monitored the heartbeat, the vet tech monitored the anesthesia as the vet removed the eye. The worst part was stopping the bleeding once the eye was cut out.

The second pic is a few weeks after the procedure and probably when she was developing the infection. In hindsight, there should have been a weep hole for drainage, more cleaning out of the socket and the antibiotics should have been administered longer.

IMG_6653.JPG
IMG_6742.JPG

Back
Top Bottom