Peacock with Useless Foot Needs Help

When chicks have trouble hatching they can have leg and foot problems that can be corrected when caught within a couple of days. Being as he is a free-range bird it is reasonable that he did not have the benefit of a breeder fixing it or him. However, seeing that he is three years old or older that he could survive that long with that problem is not likely. I can't tell from the videos or pics if it is a problem in the hatching or an injury, but an injury is more likely to me. It looks like he has worn his foot raw from limping on it.

Birds bones heal very quickly, if it is bone related it could be too late to fix without breaking and re-setting then putting it in a cast for a couple of weeks. In any case, I think if you want to invest in the bird a visit to a vet is required to ascertain if the injury is something that can be fixed.

When chicks have trouble hatching they can have leg and foot problems that can be corrected when caught within a couple of days. Being as he is a free-range bird it is reasonable that he did not have the benefit of a breeder fixing it or him. However, seeing that he is three years old or older that he could survive that long with that problem is not likely. I can't tell from the videos or pics if it is a problem in the hatching or an injury, but an injury is more likely to me. It looks like he has worn his foot raw from limping on it.

Birds bones heal very quickly, if it is bone related it could be too late to fix without breaking and re-setting then putting it in a cast for a couple of weeks. In any case, I think if you want to invest in the bird a visit to a vet is required to ascertain if the injury is something that can be fixed.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I will aspire to catch him and have a vet take a look.

Thought about the same....not sure that it's 'raw', but probably callused.
I have a couple of frostbitten peas that have lost feet and the claused areas are not dark but light like the normal color of the legs and feet. It looks dark to me in the pic so that is why I thought it may have been a recent scabbing or raw from walking on it. As usual, pics don't always appear like in real life.

Back
Top Bottom