Peacock with Useless Foot Needs Help

ChickenShelly

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2019
Peacock with hurt foot Screenshot_20190607-142737_Gallery.jpg
Hi Guys and Gals,
Our neighborhood received a pair of peacocks over 100 years ago and we have had them here ever since, spreading out over at least 5 cities here in southern California. It has been fun to watch them as they socialize, dine and raise their young in the yards, trails and canyons. Many peacocks attach themselves to a particular home lasting for many years; the peahens are less noticeable, as they are staying hidden with their young a lot of the time. I recently found a peacock in my garden. The garden is enclosed so as to stay protected from guys like him, lol, but I had left the door ajar. Here is the video I took of his little visit! :) The reason I am reaching out to you guys is because he has a foot that doesn't work. It just kind of hangs there, folded backwards, i.e. top part facing down and I don't think he really puts any weight on it. He uses his wing for another leg. He gets tired of walking VERY fast. I really don't know how he is managing to stay alive, as we have a robust coyote population throughout the area and hear them howling every night. I am wondering what is wrong with his foot and if it can be fixed. Maybe a tendon needs reattaching or something. Does anyone have any ideas? I am attaching a picture.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom