peacocks and thier voice!!!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by gaza, May 18, 2011.

1. gaza

gaza Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    hi group,i had peacocks in england,but that was 30 years ago!!,and my OLD mind is fainding!!!!!!!
    i have never had youngters!!!
    was told,that peacocks dont get voices till 3 years?
    WELL mine are screaching!!
    are they just testing their voices?
    1 year olds?
    i dont remember them screaming during the night?
    they were,like mine,perch high up in my roof.
    does/will this make a difference?
    gaza

2. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Do they make this noise?

They will make noise before they are 3, but they don't make that "Ahhh ahhh" call until they are 3. They will make honking noises and some other noises but not the "Ahhh ahh" call.[​IMG]

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Thanks for bringing this up Gaza,
    My 19 month old makes a sound like someone trying to play a trumpet with one breath, i have heard it 3 times in the last week, i remember hearing it on youtube when a pair were mating so mabe that is what he is doing .
    Heres the noise mine has been making it sounds like a horn

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  4. greenbird

greenbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Zazouse are you talking about the noise the peacock makes when he runs up to the hen in the video?

5. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    I dont know anything about peacocks. Do the really nest in trees?
    What do they eat?

Do alot have them as pets?

6. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    -Zaz my peacock makes that noise too. It looks like he is trying to breed her he will chase her and try to jump on her but she hops like a bunny everytime [​IMG]

7. greenbird

greenbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    yes mine does that too. I think they do it when they breed, that's the only time he ever makes that noise.

8. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Yep they make that noise when they run after peahens when they are displaying. It is the real matting call.

YYZ- No peafowl don't nest in trees, they nest on the ground but like to choose a nice hidden place to lay like in tall grass or under a bush. Peafowl eat all sorts of food, everyone feeds their peafowl something different...Laying mash, sometimes corn (mainly in the winter), sunflower seeds, unshelled peanuts, broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, grapes, ect.
    At first when I didn't know much about peafowl and didn't have any and all I knew is that I wanted to someday have some, I started researching peafowl. You would be surprised at how many peafowl breeder websites there are and then I found out there are a lot of people locally that have them and sell them. I would say a lot of people have them and the number of people that own peafowl is always growing of course.

9. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    I dont think he has bred her yet but I have heard him make that call 3 times. Twice was when he was chasing the peahen once he almost got on her and bred her the other time he was close but she hopped like a bunny. Then the third time he made it he was trying to get on a watermelon I gave them. When does breeding season end? I want to try and get some eggs but I need to buy a new peahen to do so.

10. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:Yes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by