Peafowl 201: Further Genetics- Colors, Patterns, and More

Pics
Congratulations on your 10,000th post!

This trio is a Feb 2016 hatch so they have some time to mature yet. They will stay with daddy, Opal SP, just in case the hens are mature enough to lay, I am not counting on it...

ep.gif
clap.gif
big_smile.png
I did not even notice. Thank you!
I have been coming to BYC for a lot of years! I used to chat a lot more but once FB took hold then most friends migrated there so I now spend a lot of time reading on that. I only come to BYC now because of the peafowl posts. I am still learning a lot!

What variety is your avatar?

Now i can say that your trio is a Dark silver pied split Opal !
The female is counting for 50% of the genetic of the offsprings .... and by the birds , she distributes the sex of the peachicks! ... big job!

Okay, so I have decided I will put a Bronze hen in with my Cameo peacock and hatch out as many as I can for further projects.
I almost love the unknown because I have gotten bored with breeding poultry that I know what the outcome will be and how long it will take to improve it but peafowl give me more of a challenge. Not only am I new to it but a lot of new colors have been popping up for only about 35 years or so. I would say we could not have any new patterns but never say never! Thirty years from now could see some amazing changes!

I would expect some tone of red to appear. It may not be bright like a Cardinal but I expect it to eventually show up since red is in the coloring of the IB train.

Need some help with cameos. This year I got quite a few cameos and have retained four who are seven months old. I have always heard/read that when you use a IB split cameo male with an IB female that all cameo chicks will be female. In watching these birds I see them all being the same color but one or two seem to stand like and have the stature of a male. For members familiar with the genetics is it always cameo being female from the mating I listed. I will be selling them in the Spring and was hoping to have some idea of their sex. Thanks in advance for any replies..

Need some help with cameos. This year I got quite a few cameos and have retained four who are seven months old. I have always heard/read that when you use a IB split cameo male with an IB female that all cameo chicks will be female. In watching these birds I see them all being the same color but one or two seem to stand like and have the stature of a male. For members familiar with the genetics is it always cameo being female from the mating I listed. I will be selling them in the Spring and was hoping to have some idea of their sex. Thanks in advance for any replies..
Based on genetics, that's correct. IB split to Cameo x IB hen= IB cock, IB split to Cameo cock, IB hen, and Cameo hen. If you're unsure you can post a picture here and you can get a second opinion. Can you please post some pictures of them?

That is what I asked as like Birdrain92 stated technically they are all supposed to be female. As for sexing these cameo colored IBs the coloring of all four is identical with no obvious feathers to show sex and of course since they are cameo there are no markings visible. If you can disclose a way to determine if there is in fact a male in these supposed females then please let me know .

Birdrain92. Thank you for confirming the genetics of what I had heard or read.

Back
Top Bottom