Peafowl concerns

angelahagen

Hatching
May 20, 2023
Male peacock about 7 years old came to live with us about 1.5 years ago. Have a few ducks, turkeys and chickens all of which he has gotten along with. He has always screamed with loud noises like traffic or any sounds that were annoying. He had increasingly chased us around the yard and we would have to spray him with a water hose to keep him from jumping on us. He seemed to enjoy this and we played chase away about 30 mins every day. In August he lost all his tail feathers. Then we had a hurricane ( not the first) but he seemed to be hoarse after. Now he rarely screams never honks. He also keeps his distance. Is he sick? Was the water hose play too much ? He kept coming back for more. He was always on our heels and would jump on us. I do love him and am worried. Have tried to find a female companion and am on a list. He only eats bugs and some scratch grain. Maybe he has just calmed down. I guess I miss being slightly terrorized….Anyone identify? Is this normal ? Thanks for your thoughts!
Angela

When he was 'playing' with you it was during the breeding season and he was trying to keep you out of 'his' territory. Now that the season is over he will be much more calm, quiet, and friendly. That behavior will come back in the spring.

During breeding season when hormones are elevated, they are more aggressive and much noisier. I hope he is not sick and that hormone changes is all this is!

Back
Top Bottom