Peafowl for 2013

My pea chicks are so dry when trying to come out of shell. Humidity stays between 60-69, but feathers look and feel dried out. One is trying to come out now but struggling. I need help to get humidity right for incubating and hatching. Saw a chart saying keep both over 80 then some say between 30-50 for incubation, then 60-70 for hatching. Help, if you have been successful hatching pea chicks in an incubator please help me figure this out. I have two good chicks - an 8 week old and one 2 weeks doing well, butbhave lost about 15 eggs and just started to put the last clutch in on Sunday. I don't want to lose them too.
Sounds like the membrain is dried on them, you can wet a clean was cloth with warm water and wrap it around the chick and egg leaving the head exposed and place it back in the bater for an hour, take it out and see if they have freed them selves if not you may have to dip them in arm water, especial if the are out and their feathers are still stuck together cause that membrane ain't gonna go away unless it is whetted first.

It sounds like your fan may be drying out you eggs if you bator has one, can you turn it off during hatch time?i have one styro bator that i can unplug the fan on.. just thought i would throw that out there

Last edited:
Thank you, there is not a fan in the little giant I use for hatching that is why I was so concerned about the humidity. I may have dampen it soon. Just want to avoid this happening again if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you, there is not a fan in the little giant I use for hatching that is why I was so concerned about the humidity. I may have dampen it soon. Just want to avoid this happening again if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I did as you suggested and the head and a leg are now out. Now I'll let nature take it's course, but would still like to avoid this in the future.

I did as you suggested and the head and a leg are now out. Now I'll let nature take it's course, but would still like to avoid this in the future.
thumbsup.gif

Kathye,
I can set over 250 guinea eggs in my bator, i collect enough fresh eggs in a few days and set them, so they are super fresh and abot 20 of them will get stuck or die in the shell, now nothing changes in there for them so i always wonder what causes it and guess i will never know.

I have had guineas leave the nest with unhatched keets left behind, i know those eggs can be there up to a couple days befor i find them so i candle them and to my suprise many i find are still alive and hatch without a hitch after i put them in my bator so who even know what is right with birds eggs
hide.gif

Kathye,
I can set over 250 guinea eggs in my bator, i collect enough fresh eggs in a few days and set them, so they are super fresh and abot 20 of them will get stuck or die in the shell, now nothing changes in there for them so i always wonder what causes it and guess i will never know.

I have had guineas leave the nest with unhatched keets left behind, i know those eggs can be there up to a couple days befor i find them so i candle them and to my surprise many i find are still alive and hatch without a hitch after i put them in my bator so who even know what is right with birds eggs
hide.gif
I've also had that happen with eggs and I put them under a hen or on a heating pad and hatched them. Guess I can do it in the incubator from now on.

If my chickens would just stop switching nesting boxes, then I am hoping the guinea eggs hatch. Those girls are driving me crazy with all of these musical chairs. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom