Peafowl Genetics for Dummies (in other words us)

New expression from Hopkins genetic :dark Silver Pied White Eyed
Silver Pied X Silver Pied = 25% White; 25% Dark Silver Pied White Eyed; 50% Silver Pied

Dark pied silver white eyes !!!

Last edited:
I am loving this thread. I think even I might be starting to understand a little bit
tongue.png
. Thank you guys for taking the time to add so much information.

Silver Pied X Silver Pied = 25% White; 25% Dark Silver Pied White Eyed; 50% Silver Pied

Dany12
A Silver Pied bird has one copy of white, one copy of pied and two copies of w/e. So when breed to another Silver Pied each parent passes on either a white or a pied Gene as well as a w/e gene to each chick. So we get chicks that have two copies of White and two copies of w/e (White hidding w/e), Chicks with one pied, one white and two w/e (Silver Pied). Then we get the chicks with two copies of Pied and two copies of w/e, these are what Hopkins are calling Dark Silver Pied White Eyed or probley a better name would just be Dark pied whiteeye.
If you was to take a Dark Pied out of Silver Pieds and breed it to a White out of Silver Pieds you would get all Silver Pieds chicks. I think Hopkins is just trying to let people know that these Dark Pieds are out of a Silver Pied Breeding and so carry two Copies of Whiteeye. You can get Dark Pieds that only carry one copy of w/e and they would not produce all Silver Pied chicks with a White carring two copies of w/e.
Hope this helps.

I want to know what I will get if I breed a peach peacock to a purple BS split to white hen? And what will I get if I breed an IB silver pied split to peach peacock to a white? I do not want to buy a peach BS Pied peacock but I do want to try and breed one LOL I am trying to set goals LMAO!

I want to know what I will get if I breed a peach peacock to a purple BS split to white hen? And what will I get if I breed an IB silver pied split to peach peacock to a white? I do not want to buy a peach BS Pied peacock but I do want to try and breed one LOL I am trying to set goals LMAO!

Peach cock X Purple BS split to White hen =

1) Purple sons split to Peach and BS, 50% also split to White
2) Peach daughters split to BS, 50% also split to White

Your second question isn't quite as definitive to answer, since the White could be other things "underneath". Was it a White from Silver Pied breeding? In that case, it will also have White Eye, but you can't see it on a solid white bird. Otherwise, it won't have White Eye. So in the first case (it came from Silver Pied breeding), you'll have half the offspring White (and genetically also Double Factor White Eye), and the other half will be Double Factor White Eye split to White. Sons will be IB color (assuming the White isn't also another color "under the white"), while daughters will be Peach. If, however, the White is also Peach, Purple or Cameo "under the white", then the sons will be whichever of those sex-linked colors the mother is.

In the second case, if it's just a "regular White", then the results will be the same, except they'll all be Single Factor White Eye rather than Double Factor.

:)

I have a question about white eye. I have three 2013 hatch siblings, all IB white eye that I got from a friend who raised them from Brad Legg white eye stock. The cock was either single factor IB WE or his son a white, and the hen, the mother of the white, is a IB white eye. Would the three yearlings, one cock and two hens, be double factor since both parents are at least single factor white eye?

I have a question about white eye. I have three 2013 hatch siblings, all IB white eye that I got from a friend who raised them from Brad Legg white eye stock. The cock was either single factor IB WE or his son a white, and the hen, the mother of the white, is a IB white eye. Would the three yearlings, one cock and two hens, be double factor since both parents are at least single factor white eye?

Single Factor X Double Factor = 50% Single Factor, 50% Double Factor

Single Factor X Single Factor = 25% Single Factor, 50% Double Factor, 25% No White Eye

:)

Dark Silver Pied White Eyed or Dark pied White Eye.

What does he look like ? Dark Pied like the simple Dark Pied + White eyes for the peacocks + frozen for the peahens.

Dark Silver Pied White Eyed or Dark pied White Eye.

What does he look like ? Dark Pied like the simple Dark Pied + White eyes for the peacocks + frozen for the peahens.
the Dark Silver Pied White Eyed will have two copies of w/e, If the Dark Pied White Eye also has two copies of w/e the birds will look the same. This is where good breeding records are needed. Now you can also have a Dark Pied W/E with only one copy of w/e this won't have all the Train feathers with the White Eye only part of them. The hen will not have the real heavy "frosting on the back" just a little of that.

Frozen for the peahens?

I believe he ment Dark pied white eye. Here is what it says on brad legg's website: When breeding Silver Pied to Silver Pied you get an average of 25% white, 50 % Silver Pied, 25% Dark Pied “White-Eyed”.

Back
Top Bottom