Peafowl Genetics for Dummies (in other words us)

I was visiting a local peafowl breeder yesterday. A few years ago I traded with him to get his beautiful pied peacock who I named Dragon. What I traded was what I thought was a "dark pied" peahen from another breeder that I had just picked up along with a pied peahen (Damsel) that I kept. Well, he has been keeping the dark pied in with his pied and says he is not getting pieds from them so now I feel bad for giving him the wrong thing.

Just now I thought of how stupid it was that I never thought to tell him to put one of his white peahens in with the pied male to get whites and pieds! BUT, what I am unsure of now is that he told me if he breeds an India Blue to one of his whites, he gets blackshoulders. That must mean his whites are blackshoulder whites or would that be split to blackshoulder whites? Anyways if he breeds one of those whites to the pied peacock, would he still get pieds and whites even if the white is also split to blackshoulder? I am guessing yes, but I didn't want to tell him something I was unshure about.

So a white peafowl split to blackshoulder X a IB pied = 50% white and 50% pied correct??

Mini .. He cant just breed any India Blue to his white and get B S. As you know both sexes have to be BS or split to BS to get BS regardless of color . George

I want to know what I will get if I breed a peach peacock to a purple BS split to white hen? And what will I get if I breed an IB silver pied split to peach peacock to a white? I do not want to buy a peach BS Pied peacock but I do want to try and breed one LOL I am trying to set goals LMAO!
Yoda.. I see that your the one that they got for the UPA BOD.. I wish you luck... please read the by-laws well, The UPA BOD has had people that didn't understand what they were for and that they should be done away with . connerhills
thumbsup.gif
old.gif

I was visiting a local peafowl breeder yesterday. A few years ago I traded with him to get his beautiful pied peacock who I named Dragon. What I traded was what I thought was a "dark pied" peahen from another breeder that I had just picked up along with a pied peahen (Damsel) that I kept. Well, he has been keeping the dark pied in with his pied and says he is not getting pieds from them so now I feel bad for giving him the wrong thing.

Just now I thought of how stupid it was that I never thought to tell him to put one of his white peahens in with the pied male to get whites and pieds! BUT, what I am unsure of now is that he told me if he breeds an India Blue to one of his whites, he gets blackshoulders. That must mean his whites are blackshoulder whites or would that be split to blackshoulder whites? Anyways if he breeds one of those whites to the pied peacock, would he still get pieds and whites even if the white is also split to blackshoulder? I am guessing yes, but I didn't want to tell him something I was unshure about.

So a white peafowl split to blackshoulder X a IB pied = 50% white and 50% pied correct??
Don't feel bad Minx next year he may get all pieds with the same coupling .

Sorry off subject, well kind of but I was not sure if this is what they are advertising. Are these silver pied or just pied? And is this a good desl

Oh sorry didn't realize that it don't attach. Lmao I bet you were confused
http://texoma.craigslist.org/grd/4494647339.html

Okay now it's there. None are silver pied. He is a very pretty pied male with I think 1 copy of white eye, if he was white eye(2 copies) all or almost all eye feathers would be whited out. The 2 hens are just plain old pieds. Here is a picture of my loud pied male and a silver pied hen, silver hens will be mostly white and the brown they do have will look like it is frosted with white. $500.00 seems a bit steep for a trio of pieds, at least to me.

Back
Top Bottom