Peafowl / Guinea Hybrid

The peacock guinea hybrids, which were from a male Blue India peacock breeding a female Pearl guinea, were about 2 years old when I sold them. I know the people still had them 2 years later.

I have had several guinea chicken hybrids- usually from a rooster breeding a female guinea. They have ranged in color but usually are the color of the father (rooster). I think I had them live up to at least 4 years. It has been a few years since I have had any.

It is rare that they will cross naturally- so it would take alot of effort to try and cross certain colors. If you could Artificial Inseminate them it would be alot easier to check your theroy.

I would like some pheasant chicken crosses but have not seen any for sale or had the time/space to work on that project.

Randy

Thanks for the reply. What I hear often goes something like 'they all drop dead at 4(or6-7), every single one of them..'

I do have a pair of guineas now.. the guinea hen set and hatched a brood.. including 2 whites and a few pieds. Tempting to toss the females into the pea pens next spring.... The father is a pied slate, mother a pied pearl. Now I'm wondering if mating with a slate might give something different in the hybrids.. or not.

I have noticed a lot of the guinea-chicken hybrids tend to resemble the chicken parent in color. Interesting. Also so far all hybrids shown in pictures have been rooster over guinea hen.. can't remember any of guinea cock over a chicken hen.. someone made the claim that guinea cocks cannot breed chickens, never got to find out the reasoning behind that though.

Speaking of other hybrids- I got to see a bunch of ringneck x chukar hybrids. Strange looking birds, looked mostly like a chukar with a much longer and broader tail. At first glance I thought they were wild doves until I looked at them again.

Thanks for the reply. What I hear often goes something like 'they all drop dead at 4(or6-7), every single one of them..'

I do have a pair of guineas now.. the guinea hen set and hatched a brood.. including 2 whites and a few pieds. Tempting to toss the females into the pea pens next spring.... The father is a pied slate, mother a pied pearl. Now I'm wondering if mating with a slate might give something different in the hybrids.. or not.

I have noticed a lot of the guinea-chicken hybrids tend to resemble the chicken parent in color. Interesting. Also so far all hybrids shown in pictures have been rooster over guinea hen.. can't remember any of guinea cock over a chicken hen.. someone made the claim that guinea cocks cannot breed chickens, never got to find out the reasoning behind that though.

Speaking of other hybrids- I got to see a bunch of ringneck x chukar hybrids. Strange looking birds, looked mostly like a chukar with a much longer and broader tail. At first glance I thought they were wild doves until I looked at them again.

This bird is fathered by a pied guinea over a crossbred mottle bearded chicken! Here's the link....
http://poultrykeeperforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5958

Back
Top Bottom