Peafowl Incubation

FireBirds

Hatching
Jun 14, 2021
Howdy everyone. So I am new to peafowl incubating and I have not had good luck. I have 2 hens that are laying and so far 5 have hatched. Unfortunately, only 1 chick has been viable. 1 was deformed and had severe splay leg and curled toes, 2 just had curled toes that I could not correct with splinting, and one hatched out but had not completely developed.

I am incubating in a brinsea ova-easy cabinet at 99.4 degrees, 60% humidity, and turning every 3 hours. I have been moving eggs from the turning trays to the hatching tray at 26th day. The egg orientation has changed slightly because of the lack of success. I started with them on their side with the narrow end slightly angled down. after 3 chicks hatched with issues I changed to the way I have hatch chicken eggs with just the narrow end pointed down until they are moved to the hatching tray. I have stopped saving eggs for incubation until I can figure out what is going on. My peahens and peacock are healthy and well fed and are in a large run by themselves.

I have always had a great hatch rate (95%+) on chickens, ducks, and geese. If anyone has any input on what I can do better or what I can be looking for that might be causing this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

I’ve been putting a double layer of paper towels in the bottom of the hatching tray under the eggs Does rug gripper work better?
Yes the rug gripper works better, paper towels are too slippery.
You can wash it with dish soap and use it over and over. Also put it in the brooder box.

Back
Top Bottom