casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
Amprolium (Corid, AmproMed, Amprol, etc)

Sulfamethoxine (Albon, Dimethox, etc)

Amoxicillin (FishMox)

Injectable penicillin

Sulfamethazine (Sulmet, SMZ 454, etc)

Metronidazole (Flagyl, Fish Zole, Aquazole, etc)

Enrofloxacin (Baytril, Enfloxil, etc.)

Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur, etc)

Albendazole (Valbazen)

Ivermectin (1% injectable, 0.5% pour on, 0.08% sheep drench, 1.87% horse paste)

Moxidectin (all forms)

Tylosin (Tylan Soluble Powder, Tylan 50, Tylan 200, etc.)

I will add dosing info and other notes later, but please feel free to add your comments.

Last edited:
Amprolium (Corid, AmproMed, Amprol, etc)

Sulfamethoxine (Albon, Dimethox, etc)

Amoxicillin (FishMox)

Injectable penicillin

Sulfamethazine (Sulmet, SMZ 454, etc

Metronidazole (Flagyl, Fish Zole, Aquazole, etc)

Enrofloxacin (Baytril, Enfloxil, etc.)

Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur, etc)

Albendazole (Valbazen)

Tylosin (Tylan Soluble Powder, Tylan 50, Tylan 200, etc.)

I will add dosing info and other notes later, but please feel free to add your comments.
Thank you for this posting. As you know many of the meds are now by prescription only but that should not scare any peafowl owners who care about their birds health from getting these meds. On line veterinary supply businesses will let people order prescription meds as long as they supply their vets fax number. They then fax your request to your vet for their signature and approval. Once approved they send you the meds. Having a good working relation with your vet is worth its weight in gold.

I need some help ! With NO vets in the area around me that treat birds specifically peafowl , I have a hen that broke two toes on her foot , the inside toe looked broken in 5 places the first break being inside the web, the middle toe seemed ok but the outside toe had at least 2 breaks I could see. I took pop siccle sticks and following the natural v pattern of the foot cut my sticks to lay just to the nail from the ball and taped w waterproof tape one cut stick for each toe and one additional for the multi break toe along the inside toe, the foot flexes but she wont walk on it. I had to leave for 2 days for doc appointments and now back have to try to figure out what meds to give her and about to go do another exam on her as she will not stand on the other foot either now. She is responsive and eating and I have water close to her. Im hoping someone else can give me advice on meds to give her as antibiotics and anyone know how long it may take to heal ?

I need some help ! With NO vets in the area around me that treat birds specifically peafowl , I have a hen that broke two toes on her foot , the inside toe looked broken in 5 places the first break being inside the web, the middle toe seemed ok but the outside toe had at least 2 breaks I could see. I took pop siccle sticks and following the natural v pattern of the foot cut my sticks to lay just to the nail from the ball and taped w waterproof tape one cut stick for each toe and one additional for the multi break toe along the inside toe, the foot flexes but she wont walk on it. I had to leave for 2 days for doc appointments and now back have to try to figure out what meds to give her and about to go do another exam on her as she will not stand on the other foot either now. She is responsive and eating and I have water close to her. Im hoping someone else can give me advice on meds to give her as antibiotics and anyone know how long it may take to heal ?
You want to give meds for a fracture? If so, the pain med I would use is Meloxicam.

Thank you for this posting. As you know many of the meds are now by prescription only but that should not scare any peafowl owners who care about their birds health from getting these meds. On line veterinary supply businesses will let people order prescription meds as long as they supply their vets fax number. They then fax your request to your vet for their signature and approval. Once approved they send you the meds. Having a good working relation with your vet is worth its weight in gold.
All of the drugs shown above can be purchased without prescription if you know where to look. However, they will be more expensive than getting them from a vet or pharmacy.

IMO, I think everyone should find a vet they can work with.

All of the drugs shown above can be purchased without prescription if you know where to look. However, they will be more expensive than getting them from a vet or pharmacy.

IMO, I think everyone should find a vet they can work with.

So true! People get hung up on trying to find an avian vet when just about any vet can be worked with if you develop a relationship and are able to show that you have some common sense and knowledge of your livestock. Farm vets are the best to get to know.

So true! People get hung up on trying to find an avian vet when just about any vet can be worked with if you develop a relationship and are able to show that you have some common sense and knowledge of your livestock. Farm vets are the best to get to know.
My dog/cat vet saved the life of my peahen. She was dying, and I'm surprised the trip to the vet office didn't kill her. Anyway, so I had a really sick hen, but was out of lactated ringers, so I put her in the truck and showed up at the vet clinic. I went inside and begged them to look at her, which he did. I asked him to check her poop, which he did and found "flagellates", which confirmed my suspicion that it was probably blackhead. He agreed the best course of treatment was metronidazole, Baytril, fluids, and tube feeding. Neither of us thought she would live, but she did, and it's because he was willing to look at her.

Back
Top Bottom