Peafowl not accepting new peafowl

Deannar893

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Mayfield Kentucky
I have a pair of peafowl. The male is a split pied with 2 white parents in his lineage. My female is also a split pied but not quite as obvious as my male. They are 4 and 5 years old and have been together since they were 1 and 2. They bonded together immediately with no problems,,thank goodness I now am trying to introduce a 1year old solid white female and they want nothing to do with her. She hangs out with my chickens,,lol,,,they dont try to hurt her they just dont want her anywhere around them. Now I live on a pretty good size farm and all my neighbors are family so all of my babies are free range. I have no problem with predators because I have 2 Shepard's that think those are their chicks and peacocks hahahha. Any suggestions on how to get them to accept her or should I just let them be and let nature take its course? All my birds are free range and eat together cruise around the farm together but my white hen sleeps with the chickens not with my 2 peafowl. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you all in advance

Move all the birds into a pen they haven't been kept in before to break up territories. I also highly suggest keeping the peafowl away from the chickens.

I have a pair of peafowl. The male is a split pied with 2 white parents in his lineage. My female is also a split pied but not quite as obvious as my male. They are 4 and 5 years old and have been together since they were 1 and 2. They bonded together immediately with no problems,,thank goodness I now am trying to introduce a 1year old solid white female and they want nothing to do with her.
My peafowl have always lived with my chickens and its a good combo- especially in a free range situation as they tend to look out for each other. I have found in the past, that when one peahen starts nesting and taking care of the chicks, the male starts paying attention to the other hen(go figure). Now that yours are 4-5 years old the nesting will surely take place unless you are one who doesn't let them raise their own. Also, in late summer- early fall- my male(s) become so desperate for one last "hurrah" before losing their tail, anything remotely female becomes an object of adoration. Your #1 peahen may join forces with #2 at that point in efforts to escape from his amorous attacks. For what its worth, I say give it time.

Back
Top Bottom