1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peafowl not sounding right

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by rem, Mar 3, 2012.

1. rem

rem Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Kingsburg, CA.
    I have a peacock that doesn't sound right when breathing. His breathing sound is very raspy, almost like he's gargling. He sometimes walks around the yard with his mouth slightly open. He eat well and grazes with the hens in the field. Ones of his hens started the gargling sounds the other day. His body weight, temp, and face color is normal. He's 3 years now and I have yet to see him show off to the hens this year.

What might be wrong with him and what can I give him. Thanks in advance for any help, Ruben

2. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    If you can catch him, check his throat for obstructions or gape worm. Check for any nasal blockage or discharge. This is the first step of checking him out. Do you have the birds on a worming program? If not, look into this. Some others may weigh in on this too. Are the wings drooping on the bird? Or is he still roosting? Drooping wings and failure to roost (if he normally roosts and most do) is usually a sign of distress.

3. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    agree , if nothing is found in the throat.......my guess gape worms. Peafowl will need wormed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by