Peafowl not sounding right

rem

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Kingsburg, CA.
I have a peacock that doesn't sound right when breathing. His breathing sound is very raspy, almost like he's gargling. He sometimes walks around the yard with his mouth slightly open. He eat well and grazes with the hens in the field. Ones of his hens started the gargling sounds the other day. His body weight, temp, and face color is normal. He's 3 years now and I have yet to see him show off to the hens this year.

What might be wrong with him and what can I give him. Thanks in advance for any help, Ruben

If you can catch him, check his throat for obstructions or gape worm. Check for any nasal blockage or discharge. This is the first step of checking him out. Do you have the birds on a worming program? If not, look into this. Some others may weigh in on this too. Are the wings drooping on the bird? Or is he still roosting? Drooping wings and failure to roost (if he normally roosts and most do) is usually a sign of distress.

We worm our peafowl 3-4 times a year.
I also regularly do stool analysis about once a month on our various pens/areas.
Parasites ARE the most common killer of peafowl. They are brought down by the infestation and a respiratory (or whatever) infection can set in. But it is SECONDARY to the PRIMARY, which is parasites.
Do I think t hat a wormer can be detrimental to peafowl who is ill with something else such as renal disease which has been mentioned here? Yes I do think it could. The answer to that is have a fecal analysis run and know for sure.
But there are many things that can cause renal failure such as viral, bacterial, fungal infections, coccidiosis, mycotoxins, IBV infection, the list is long. And is it acute or chronic renal failure? That is easy enough to diagnosis as well. Have the vet draw the blood or get a purple top tube for the CBC with 1 mL of blood and a red top (tube for spinning down the blood to serum) and a mL in it. And take it to your vet and have them run a CBC and chem panel to check kidney function (BUN and creatinine), calcium, phosphorus. It will reveal their liver function, any anemia. Infection will be detected, CBC can tell much about your bird.
You can also have uric acid levels checked which can reveal gout or kidney disease.
There is a lot to be learned from diagnostic testing on peafowl. And you can save their life by early detection and by knowing what you are dealing with so you can treat appropriately.
Stool analysis is about $15-20, the bloodwork about $75.
Some people can learn the stool analysis themselves. But it is a cheap test and worth it.
I have no problem with boosting immune systems and being cautious about worming.
However I am a realist and I know often times parasites are always ready to take hold and they will kill peafowl.

Last edited:
If you can catch him, check his throat for obstructions or gape worm. Check for any nasal blockage or discharge. This is the first step of checking him out. Do you have the birds on a worming program? If not, look into this. Some others may weigh in on this too. Are the wings drooping on the bird? Or is he still roosting? Drooping wings and failure to roost (if he normally roosts and most do) is usually a sign of distress.

agree , if nothing is found in the throat.......my guess gape worms. Peafowl will need wormed.

Back
Top Bottom