Peahen and her chick in the cold

Annika514

Chirping
Aug 10, 2020
We are having a few days of freezing (20 degrees) temperatures here in Idaho. I have a barn with a heat lamp in it but the newest hen and chick we brought home this summer have not gone to it. They are free range and sitting on the deck in the wind and cold! I’m afraid she doesn’t want to go to the barn because of the snow, but worried they will freeze! How hardy are peafowl? My other peacocks have lived here forever and they go in the barn on cold nights but I’m worried about our newbies. Thanks!

From my research, peafowls are not cold hardy and require a heat source (like the heat lamp you have for her/her chick). The lamp will keep her warm, as well as keep her chick warm.

Thanks all, so much. They are free roaming and do go to the barn during snow and rain. I was actually surprised to wake up Saturday and see she had left the barn in the snowstorm to roost in the tree. I do all feed and watering in the barn and the two males go in there in extreme weather but mamma was adamant about roosting in the tree. They seem okay this morning - should I look for any signs of frostbite? It got down to 12 degrees last night. Warming up a little today and everyone is in the sun.

Attachments

• AB7D88B8-CE5A-49F5-8356-78255D45AB87.jpeg
    AB7D88B8-CE5A-49F5-8356-78255D45AB87.jpeg
    645.2 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom