Peahen came to live with us, can I introduce her into my pair's pen?

goddinfla

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 7, 2007
I have a pair of black shouldered peafowl. An India blue peahen showed up at my house Saturday. I caught her this morning. Will they fight if I put her in with the pair?

More than likely they will fight, the hens will fight the most. When we introduced a young pair to our single hen, there was alot of fighting for the first day, then they seemed to calm down the next day.

If your male is fully adult.. he should be very glad to have a new hen. My adult males get very excited and start posturing(doing a Z neck posture with some head bowing with what looks like a huge bump behind the crest)

Your hen most likely is going to push the new hen around, making sure she knows who's the boss. It's not fun to watch if a hen gets pretty bossy but stand back and check on them through the day. If you have a lot of room they should be okay and she will start to leave her alone after a while.

Be sure to worm all of them and watch the new hen's health etc.

I let her get used to being around here in a pen about 20 feet from the pair. Put her in with them this morning. No fighting no tension, just got along like they'd known each other all their lives. Pavel (the peacock) was showing off for both of them all day.

Where in the world did she come from? Those are really expensive here, especially Blues. Wish one would just show up here.
smile.png

I have no idea. We're in an area where just about anything can show up. Like the stinkin' bobcat that's decimating my ducks and other birds right now. The peafowl are safe, they're in an enclosed pen. We had a peacock spend the night a few years back before I had birds. A lady that works for the same dentist as my wife called to say there was a peahen at her condo place last week and asked if we could come and get it.

Just a question here-I just read Kaacres' post about her neighbors stealing her 2 young guineas who wandered over to their property. Its heartbreaking, but is there anyone in your area who make have had their peahen fly away or wander off? I know our neighbors had theirs be Houdinis once in awhile, but the whole area knew about them and knew to call the family when a peahen or peacock showed up. I was just wondering...
Lisa

When I was in Jr. High in OKC (about 10 years ago yeesh) there was a peacock in the woods along the road when walking home from the bus stop. Me and my friend could hear him. We tried to get him, but he was up high in a big mess of oak trees. I didn't know they could fly, let alone in a not enclosed area. I don't see how he did that.

ps: I THINK it was a peacock. It sounded like it and had a long tail. Could it have been a pheasant or something I wonder? Still don't think it was indigenous.

I don't know of anybody close that has peafowl. I'm sure I would hear them if there were.

Back
Top Bottom