Peahen egg color and size

The only egg I can think of that I haven't seen is a pheasant egg.

Im afraid to say I haven't seen snake eggs because Kathy might produce some
1f602.png
1f602.png

Gerald Barker

Found this great picture from NateinFL
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/475278/peahens-peachicks#post_6034996

It was posted with this post:

-Kathy

There was more in Kathy's quote about spots, but I can't get it to come up. Anyway, as folks have mentioned before (though perhaps not in this thread), with some peahens, it's immediately obvious which hen laid the egg. My BS hen lays dark tan (to almost light brown) eggs, often with speckles -- very pretty eggs. The little (not-so-little) SP hen lays nearly pure white, non-speckled eggs. Very different in color, and a more elongated oval, not as fat in the middle. Very elegant white eggs. But the size is quite similar between the two birds -- not likely to be mistaken for much of anything else besides the peas
wink.png

I have a new, automatic turner with goose racks in it this year -- it's helping a lot with my hatch rate so far, and I really like it. It says to only put 12 pea or goose eggs on it, but I think I can actually get 15 in there in a pinch. (I still manually turn twice a day). I think it is improving the aeration around the eggs, as well as keeping them farther from the icky water and doing a nice job of moving the eggs around -- I'm really happy with it. (I'm convinced that the water in the bottom of the incubator breeds bacteria, even though it's all disinfected before it starts... 28 days of nice warm, wet conditions...) I'm wiping down the egg racks with disinfectant periodically now, even while the incubator is running. Seems to be helping.

There was more in Kathy's quote about spots, but I can't get it to come up.  Anyway, as folks have mentioned before (though perhaps not in this thread), with some peahens, it's immediately obvious which hen laid the egg. My BS hen lays dark tan (to almost light brown) eggs, often with speckles -- very pretty eggs.  The little (not-so-little) SP hen lays nearly pure white, non-speckled eggs.  Very different in color, and a more elongated oval, not as fat in the middle. Very elegant white eggs. But the size is quite similar between the two birds -- not likely to be mistaken for much of anything else besides the peas ;)

I have a new, automatic turner with goose racks in it this year -- it's helping a lot with my hatch rate so far, and I really like it.  It says to only put 12 pea or goose eggs on it, but I think I can actually get 15 in there in a pinch.  (I still manually turn twice a day).  I think it is improving the aeration around the eggs, as well as keeping them farther from the icky water and doing a nice job of moving the eggs around -- I'm really happy with it.  (I'm convinced that the water in the bottom of the incubator breeds bacteria, even though it's all disinfected before it starts...  28 days of nice warm, wet conditions...)  I'm wiping down the egg racks with disinfectant periodically now, even while the incubator is running.  Seems to be helping.

That sounds like a great plan you got going. Very nice setup indeed.

Gerald Barker

That sounds like a great plan you got going. Very nice setup indeed.

Gerald Barker

Thanks, Gerald! I wish I had a cabinet hatcher and all the stuff, but I'm managing with a couple Genesis styrofoam bators, and had been doing reasonably well with those. But the last couple of years I had nothing hatch, even using fresh, non-shipped eggs. We are higher in altitude than we were before, and that may play a part in making the hatching less tolerant of imperfect procedures and conditions. I made lots of changes in what I had been doing, and I added the turner -- the cumulative result has been quite an improvement.

Maybe someday I'll have the good stuff
jumpy.gif

Thanks, Gerald!  I wish I had a cabinet hatcher and all the stuff, but I'm managing with a couple Genesis styrofoam bators, and had been doing reasonably well with those.  But the last couple of years I had nothing hatch, even using fresh, non-shipped eggs.  We are higher in altitude than we were before, and that may play a part in making the hatching less tolerant of imperfect procedures and conditions.  I made lots of changes in what I had been doing, and I added the turner -- the cumulative result has been quite an improvement. 

Maybe someday I'll have the good stuff :jumpy

The good stuff is only as good as its owner, your setup works, many eggs have been hatched in styrofoam incubators over the years and some people swear by them. They do require more maintaining but sometimes thats the thrill of it. If your having fun and it works, dont fix it and keep us posted,
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

Back
Top Bottom