Peahen showed up!

I would try to find the owner. Posters up at the store nearby, a post on Facebook or just asking around. I would be broken hearted if one of my birds got spooked or chased away from home. You just might fine people calling/looking. I wouldn’t feel right keeping her if I didn’t try to get her back home. I’d feed & water and watch over her until I found out how & why she ended up on my yard. I’ve heard of broody chickens being gone for a
Month and then they will find their way back ... chicks in tow. It’s spring perhaps her hormones (nest) has taken her on a adventure she really isn’t prepared for. Her owners may assume a predator got her. Best wishes

I would try to find the owner. Posters up at the store nearby, a post on Facebook or just asking around. I would be broken hearted if one of my birds got spooked or chased away from home. You just might fine people calling/looking. I wouldn’t feel right keeping her if I didn’t try to get her back home. I’d feed & water and watch over her until I found out how & why she ended up on my yard. I’ve heard of broody chickens being gone for a
Month and then they will find their way back ... chicks in tow. It’s spring perhaps her hormones (nest) has taken her on a adventure she really isn’t prepared for. Her owners may assume a predator got her. Best wishes

Thank you. I’ll so my best to look after her until I hopefully find the owner.

Let him in with your chickens. They do well together. Feed game bird food preferably or flock raiser. I have them. If there are any peacock owners within a mile of you, you will know where they are because you will hear them. That is a young male. If there are other adult males where he was originally, they might have attacked him and he flew off to get away. Peacocks have a bad habit of running or flying off on you if their wing feathers are not clipped to prevent flight or housed in large covered pens.

Young cocks tend to get chased off during breeding season by the dominant cocks. Young IB cocks are fairly common and inexpensive, so if you find the owner they may give him to you or at a very low price if you want to keep him. As far as being ok to keep penned with your chickens it is more likely that the chickens pass worms or cocci to the pea than the other way around. If you get to keep him you will need to learn how to deworm him at least twice per year. It would also be a good idea to get a companion eventually, for when he matures he will start looking for love and maybe in the wrong places. Oh, and NEVER clip a pea's wings! It is their greatest defense against predators.

Back
Top Bottom