peahen with drooping wings

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
I have posted before about our IB peahen with her drooping wings, but this is a little different. She always starts standing around with wings drooping around the time that she goes broody and lays. I have noticed her disappearing off and on lately and this is typical behavior for her when she goes broody. (she's five years old and we've had her since a baby). In the past people other peafowl owners have said this is a sign of being egg bound, but it never has been with her, it just seems to be an indicator in past years that she's about to go broody. What concerns me this time though is that she is not eating as of this morning. Not even catfood, and if she can get some catfood, that's her favorite thing, she doesn't get it very often. She is otherwise acting fairly normal, trying to break up fights among the chickens, and going out to check out the peacock displaying, but i've also noticed her creeping around checking out corners in the barn, etc. .

So I guess I'm concerned because I can't tell if she's broody or sick. She is very skittish and impossible to catch. Her head feathers and tail are not drooping, which I have noticed before that when one is sick, the head feathers droop. I just wondered if anyone else thinks it is normal for her to be off her food if she is broody. . Help! This is probably not an easy question to answer, but any thoughts? I don't want to stress her out and start chasing her around and trying to catch her if she IS just broody, because I don't want her to decide a better place for her nest might be outside....;;

I have posted before about our IB peahen with her drooping wings, but this is a little different. She always starts standing around with wings drooping around the time that she goes broody and lays. I have noticed her disappearing off and on lately and this is typical behavior for her when she goes broody. (she's five years old and we've had her since a baby). In the past people other peafowl owners have said this is a sign of being egg bound, but it never has been with her, it just seems to be an indicator in past years that she's about to go broody. What concerns me this time though is that she is not eating as of this morning. Not even catfood, and if she can get some catfood, that's her favorite thing, she doesn't get it very often. She is otherwise acting fairly normal, trying to break up fights among the chickens, and going out to check out the peacock displaying, but i've also noticed her creeping around checking out corners in the barn, etc. .

So I guess I'm concerned because I can't tell if she's broody or sick. She is very skittish and impossible to catch. Her head feathers and tail are not drooping, which I have noticed before that when one is sick, the head feathers droop. I just wondered if anyone else thinks it is normal for her to be off her food if she is broody. . Help! This is probably not an easy question to answer, but any thoughts? I don't want to stress her out and start chasing her around and trying to catch her if she IS just broody, because I don't want her to decide a better place for her nest might be outside....;;

Can you please post a picture? It sounds like just an egg laying behavior but just as a precaution. Peahen with egg bound will have droop wings, tail drop, head held close, and back will be sort of arched. If they are in a certain part of laying when egg bound they won't move at all or very little that you could pick her up with no resistance.

Probably a good idea to catch her, get a baseline weight, and do an exam. When was the last time she was wormed, and what did you use? What does her poop look like?

-Kathy

They were dewormed end of February with Strike 3. I think it is just an egg laying behavior. She appeared this evening at dinner, and did eat. I have worried about her in the past as I said, because she has done this before. In fact, I posted about it before a few years ago. And every time she has been broody. She is not easy to catch. They are not in a run, they free range. I was mostly worried because her appetite was off. Her tail is up, back might be a little arched, but her head, as far as I know, is held in a normal position. As I said, today she felt well enough to go over and break up a fight between two roosters., and then she strolled out to admire one of the peacocks. So I don't think she would be this active if she were egg bound, would she? I will see if I can get a picture tomorrow.

Does she look like this? This hen took two days to pass her egg.

I know this is an old post but hoping to get some advise. My peahens wings look just like this. She laid an egg on the 12th and 14th and nothing since(today is the 18th). The drooping wings started today and she seems to be pecking around at food and walking around so I'm just wondering if and when I should be worried and when and what I should do if it is her being egg bound? Any help would be tremendously appreciated!!

Yes, but not so extreme. I think she was just passing an egg, too. Yesterday evening she looked perfectly normal, and was eating normally, also. I'll keep an eye on her. thanks, everyone!
My hen looks like that right now and she passed her egg about 2 hours ago. Shouldn't she look like that only prior?

No it actually looks fine. Her and the other hen laid one each yesterday and again today. and also 2 eggs -2 days ago.
The other hen is walking around looking normal. I took the eggs again.
Do the hens do this if they want to lay on them? I have some fertile eggs just scared to put them in with everyone.

Back
Top Bottom