Pealing fresh duck eggs

Never had one of the duck eggs do that - yet. Chicken eggs yes, but not duck eggs. Of course, I start with the eggs in the water and then turn them down before they get boiling too hard.

Quote:
I'm going to x2 ML's comment.

I believe it was her that introduced me to the concept of steaming eggs and I'll never go back to boiling. I steamed up a dozen this morning and had a perfect peel after they had cooled a couple hours. I also use the cold running water trick, I break the air pocket first then break the membrane and let the cold water work its way between membrane and egg.

I use a bamboo steamer btw.

Last edited:
Quote:
x2 if the egg cools completely down that is where you have trouble.

x2

Did the steam method last week for the first time. PERFECT!
Added eggs to a already steaming basket for 12 minutes. Dunked in an ice water bath for 5 minutes. Peeled easy and prefect. Placed several in the fridge and peeled the next day, Same result.
Good luck

Okay, gotta get me a steamer....Santa?
lol.png

I tried the steaming egg method and it worked like a charm. I will never go back to the boiling water method. Thanks Miss Lydia for the tip.

Oh that is so great!
When I first read about the steaming, I was imagining yet another appliance in an already too tiny kitchen! I will totally try it now that I finally (D'oh!) got that it's just a steam basket! I made some delicious hard boiled eggs, but man were they a sight by the time I got them peeled! Looked like they had been to war and back!
Thanks!
tongue.png

Thanks for the steamer tip Miss Lydia (I used my rice steamer)! I finally got the eggs out of the shell in one piece!!
woot.gif
However, none of the yolks were in the middle of the eggs... they were all off to one side. The 6 fresh eggs were laying on their sides in order to fit into my little rice steamer, should I have been rotating them?? I never noticed this on the chicken eggs before. The deviled eggs tasted wonderful, just a little crooked!!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom