Peas post your peas for deerman

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

Wow, so many pretty pictures! I love peas, they have to be the prettiest birds ever.

Quote:
Wow, I didn't know that deerman, I'm learning so much from you guys. Mine has color in his barring, I wonder if he is split to bs also.

Last edited:
Hi Deerman - how are you feeling these days? I know you remember my peas from when they were just babies three years ago and you helped me to identify their colors - well now they have babies of their own. One peahen finally showed up yesterday with six babies. I've yet to figure out where she has been setting:

peahen1-2.jpg

peahen1b.jpg

Our purple peahen also had four babies but I found one drowned in water trough this morning:

peahen2-2.jpg

So far, of the 9 babies - 4 are yellow, 4 are brown and one is yellow and brown:

peachick1-2.jpg

So, please remind me, and I know I should write this down - which are which color?????

I have three eggs from my "white" peahen (silver pied) that I took and put in incubator because she didn't turn out to be a great mother. She kept abandoning her nest and babies and stepped on one and squished it and then abandoned the other and I don't know what happened to it. So I took her remaining eggs and they are finishing developing in my incubator.

It's funny how these peahens did their "thing". Two went off and hid and hatched their babies and returned proudly with them. The third laid her first eggs out in the yard in the open and left them there. Then she tried squating on the purple peahen's nest for a while and then finally laid three more eggs elsewhere but wouldn't tend to the babies when they hatched.

I did find and know where the purple peahen was setting and checked on her often but I never did find out where the other peahen (blue?) was setting. She would come home each morning and walk around my second floor balcony and then disappear again.

Aww what a bunch of cute peachicks! The white and brown one could be ether silver pied or pied, I am thinking it is pied but I am not good at identifying which is which for the peachicks.

4 dark one .more likey blues, 4 yellow are blackshoulder, unless the one with alot of light on it has white flight feather then its a white, the brown and white VERY NICE PIED will have alot of white (loud pied) to much brown for silver pied i think.

Nice to see they are doing well for you, oh the BS ones maybe another color, but need to color our,

If i remember you had opal also.

Quote:
Thank you all and thank you Deerman. How are you feeling? Have you finished all chemo treatments? I'm still praying for you.

I do have an Opal male also, in addition to my blackshoulder and my spaulding male. I have three females - a purple, blue, and silver pied. As far as I know the purple and blue peahens hatched their own eggs since they were off on hidden nests somewhere. My blackshoulder male has been "boss" since day one. They all hang out in my backyard in front of our sunporch where we do most of our living so we get to see him in "action" daily. It has been fun this first real mating season to watch him in action. Every visitor here wanted to sit and watch and take lots of photos. He really put on a show. Every day, for most of the day, he would strut and fan and show and dance for the three females who would wander around, pecking at the ground as if they weren't the least bit interested in him. Then, sure enough, one of them would suddenly run up closer and squat and he would do his thing in less than 30 seconds and then back to fanning and showing and displaying till the next female would run up and squat. One by one, every female fell for his good looks and fancy showmanship. (LOL) Even after mating with each female he would continue to display. We all wondered "isn't he tired of holding up that big tail by now?". Speaking of which, the "green" one has already shed his tail and I have a vase full of beautiful flowers. The "blue" one has not shed his yet.

I never saw the "green" male or the opal male mate with any of the females so I think my blackshoulder is the daddy to all. I've never really been sure if he's a blue blackshoulder or a spaulding blackshoulder - he's been identified as both throughout his life. I posted some pictures a few pages back and I think you said he was a blue blackshoulder but someone else said they thought a spaulding blackshoulder. He does show a lot of greenish tint depending on how the light hits him. When he was very young you said you thought he was a spaulding blackshoulder.

I'm enjoying my peafowl so much. I've always wanted them and now I find myself running outside each morning to check on the two mamas and counting their babies to be sure they are all still there. Last night the purple peahen already had her babies up on a high roosting place out in the stables. The blue one still had hers on the ground in my front flower bed. I'm amazed that they can fly so young. It's a joy watching these mamas with their babies. They are the most attentive and caring mamas. Our hundreds of freeranging chickens, ducks, goats, dogs - all know to stay clear of these mamas who will jump at, on or chase them away in a heartbeat. I guess since I hand raised these females they know me and are comfortable with me getting near them, bringing their babies some food and water and even handling the babies. So far, neither of them have decided to run a stake through my hand (that beak of theirs) but instead calmly watch me. I've lifted them up to look under them and have even taken eggs and put eggs back as well as chicks - but, let a rooster or hen get within 10 feet and "LOOK OUT"!!!!

Ruth , both the mothers of the chicks are split to blackshoulder also....remember any males from your purple hens will be split purple.

Now if other hens layed in the nest, thats all out the window.

Feel as good as can be, i will be taken the chemo the rest of my life, on 2 weeks off one week.

Deerman, I'm sorry to hear you'll be taking chemo for so long and so often. I pray you are tolerating the dosage. I'm also praying for a total healing.

Regarding the "split" terminology - well, I've never understood what that meant. Does it mean one parent of one color and another of a different color? Like blue hen and blackshoulder male produces a blue hen split to blackshoulder????? And, how can you tell from photos who is "split" to something and who is "pure"??? I'm guessing at this point I could have any number of colors show up????? I do have three eggs in incubator that I took from my "white" hen's nest which I'm sure she laid. She's a Silver Pied and I'm guessing the daddy is also the Blackshoulder.

Funny thing about the eggs. I found three solid white eggs which I know are peafowl eggs and I think the white hen laid them. I put them in incubator only to have them fall out and break when the turner came on. Then a few weeks later, she's finally setting a nest in a different location and the eggs are the light tan speckled eggs like the other two peahens lay but they were off setting their own nests so I know the white peahen laid these eggs too. I have them in bator because I gave her two pipping eggs (that I originally took from the purple's nest so she would get off the nest and tend to her 4 chicks) and she killed the babies when they hatched. Actually, they might have been her eggs because she found where the purple was laying and for a few days kept squatting/setting on the same nest so I think she laid three more eggs that incubated at different times. Either way, I should have some of her chicks soon if they hatch. My question is.....does the same bird lay different colored eggs? The ones she laid last year were solid white also but they didn't develop because the males were no longer fertile by the time she decided to set a nest. I'm just trying to figure out how/why one nest of her eggs had three solid white eggs that look just like my goose eggs (and no they aren't from the goose) and then a month later she lays three brown/speckled eggs?

Here's the remaining 4 eggs in bator - notice the white one is also larger than the rest. It got a small crack in it when the other two from that nest got smashed to smithereens when the turner came back on all by itself and dumped them out. I super glued some tissue on this one and it continued to develop but it's looking like it might have stopped a couple of days ago. It should be hatching today if not. One of the tans is remaining from the purple's nest and the other three tan are from the white hen's second nest that she laid.

peaeggs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom