Pease help! One of my duckling keeps falling backwards, can't walk well.

Can you take a video of you duck walking and falling over. I have a duck that did that when he was a duckling. He is about 3 and a half years old now and limps when he walks. He got attacked by something during the night when he was about 1 years old and his limp got even worse, but he lives a happy life. He is the sweetest duck ever.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all the feedbacks truly, and as a result I am now feeding ducklings starter feed only, baby vitamin and Vitamin B complex which I started this afternoon.

I noticed back flipping is not occurring often, just flipped once but he still can't balance very well and walks very slowly. I also noticed he is very careful and resorts walking to very minimum.

The other duckling, who I thought was in top shape, I noticed from yesterday, which is two days of food being out all day for them to feed...her legs have also gotten weaker, I noticed from this morning, she can't walk as well she too resorts to barely walking around.

When I give them water with baby vitamin and now with vitamin B complex, I noticed they get diherria, is that okay?

Maybe I'm overthinking...I started vitamin B complex this afternoon so hopefully they will get better soon. I'm so worried their mobility will be limited for the rest of their lives, which would be very sad.

Let's cross our fingers for my little cuties. Cheers everyone!

jiMs2e9fR0afiQIyK3AnDA.jpg
v9ao9FhnRFSTTT8nUbYfIQ.jpg

Can you take a video of you duck walking and falling over. I have a duck that did that when he was a duckling. He is about 3 and a half years old now and limps when he walks. He got attacked by something during the night when he was about 1 years old and his limp got even worse, but he lives a happy life. He is the sweetest duck ever.

Thank you sending me this info. This makes me a bit worried for them because there are some dangerous predators living in my condo lake which I'm hoping will be their permanent home for them in the future when they are fullu grown with other many family ducks here. Raccoons and big turtles and hawks...

I will try and video tape them but they hardly walk now and carefully at that. Can you post video on this forum, I think you can?

They look like they are sliding and waddling as they walk... forcing them to plank down as soon they can...

I will try and post as soon as I can video tape them! Thank you

it can take sometime before you see improvement when they already have a problems so just try and have patience. Hopefully before next week is up you’ll see improvement. One thing I’d do though is offer their B complex liquid over a small amount of meal worms or thawed peas or something else they love so they get their full dose not watered down

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all the feedbacks truly, and as a result I am now feeding ducklings starter feed only, baby vitamin and Vitamin B complex which I started this afternoon.

I noticed back flipping is not occurring often, just flipped once but he still can't balance very well and walks very slowly. I also noticed he is very careful and resorts walking to very minimum.

The other duckling, who I thought was in top shape, I noticed from yesterday, which is two days of food being out all day for them to feed...her legs have also gotten weaker, I noticed from this morning, she can't walk as well she too resorts to barely walking around.

When I give them water with baby vitamin and now with vitamin B complex, I noticed they get diherria, is that okay?

Maybe I'm overthinking...I started vitamin B complex this afternoon so hopefully they will get better soon. I'm so worried their mobility will be limited for the rest of their lives, which would be very sad.

Let's cross our fingers for my little cuties. Cheers everyone!

View attachment 1572841 View attachment 1572842
So cute!

Walking on slick flooring is hard on duck legs. If you know there are snappers in you community lake why would you put them on it?

Thank you for encouragement and thaw peas advice Lydia. You know a lot!
BTW what is warm meal worms? Like put warm water into their meal mix?

They are so smart, when they run out of water or food, THEY LET ME KNOW!

Also to answer your question...there are a lot of duck families thriving here, living and several tenants and I feed them daily, but I rescued these eggs by accident because their mom duck kept cracking every egg she lays...so I tried putting golf balls and see if she would stop her behavior, that way I can put them back but didn't happen, so I intervined, and save few left.

Eveytime I left couple of eggs for her to lay in, she would crack them next day or two.

Even if there are predators, soft shell turtles not snapping ones, do not invade onto large ducks, so do small hawks, they prey on newborn ducklings or sick ones. Also, there many ducks here that are happy cohabitating with humans in this semi wild environment, so I thought it would be nice to see them daily and watch them thrive right below my apartment.

I also thought about adopting them out but most all people I came across, want to take them to eat them which made me sad.

I'll keep close eye and see what happens! Thank you once again!

Back
Top Bottom