pebbles for ground in duck enclosure, any ideas?

I use sand and really like it, but I live in a hot and dry climate. It works well for me, I hose it down in the morning, turn it, hose it down again, and it leaves my ducks with nice cool bedding for our 105+ heat during the day. It drys out overnight and then I repeat in the morning.

Very fine pea gravel wouldn't hurt their feet, but they might eat this as grit. I use shavings, which works awesome and tone down the smell, absorb the poop. Around their water, I place it in a rubber shallow feeding pan or the half of a dog kennel filled with sand. This keeps the rest of the pen dry, and easy to clean, while toning down the annoyance of sand or pebbles.
I don't like anything in the outdoor run. I just let them eat the grass. For me, the more natural, the better.
Also if your ducks are worried about going out, just herd them out. They'll settle down after a few minutes and suddenly fall in love with the outdoors. :)

Thanks Welshies! Tomorrow I am going to bring in some extra dirt and try to get some better drainage.

Back
Top Bottom