Pebbles, wood chip or sand?

moody-chicken

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 2, 2013
Hi. My chicken run will be on a large concrete area and its getting very difficult to decide what would be the best substrate. Pebbles don't absorb the poop so can be washed however there's a chance the poop will collate underneath without excellent drainage. Wood chip with probably get poo stuck and scratched all over it, unusure how often is needed to replace and then sand will likely get wet and compacted with poop and smell badly. Im actually starting to put myself off my chicken project due to the simple problem of how ill keep them clean. I could try straw but I'd need bales of it to cover 17x10 ft run and with the rain and poop may not last long. Anyone got any ideas?

Sand is an excellent medium in the run and coop. It drains well and dries fast. It absorbs wet poop and keeps the stink down. The flies don't care much for it as well. You can use a kitty litter scoop to do quick clean ups without removing much sand. :)

A good layer ( 4 - 6 inches) of sand will enable the poop to be turned under in the course of the chickens' scratching. This will allow it to break down and not stink. The sand will sit up above the surrounding area so the chickens don't have to walk in mud. The water will settle to the bottom and drain off of the concrete.

I had wood mulch for a while, but the chickens destroyed it, pecking at it and digging in it. Pretty much turned it into mush.

Sand is easier to move and manage than are pebbles.

Chris

Ok thanks for the advice, sand seems the best option. I'm going to need a lot of it but I'm sure it will be worth it. Thanks guys x

Back
Top Bottom