1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pecans

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Endur50, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Endur50

Endur50 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    We have three large pecan trees in our yard and the girls love when I can find and crack a left over pecan for a treat. Next fall I'll have an abundance of pecans and I was wondering what everyone though about incorporating them as a regular part of their feed. Obviously not as a replacement for their layer pellets but can I put them out daily in a separate container? Obviously lots of protein but would it be too much fat? How much is too much? I try to let them forage and supplement as much as possible. Anything they can eat that I produce at home (organically too) for me is preferable to a diet of strictly purchased manufactured feed that has to be trucked all the way across the country (Thinking in terms of environmental impact)

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Ship those extras to me - I'll send you some nice wheat for the chickens. [​IMG]

You probably could over feed them on Pecans. At 87% fat and 5% protein they are a good treat for those cold winter days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by