pecked 2 day old chick, not sure what to put on the wound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedwingII, Jun 13, 2010.

1. RedwingII

RedwingII New Egg

Jan 23, 2009
    [​IMG]I went to the feed store to pick up goat feed, when I spotted the baby chicks. I looked at them and picked up a few then noticed that one chick was being pecked when I picked her and noticed a small hole under the right wing. I told the lady at the store your going to have to move this chick or they will kill her. She said we don't have any place to put her, I asked if they had a red light that may stop them from pecking her. She then looked a the chick and said o' well???? I said WHAT???? then she said you can have her if you want free..... or I will put her back... Ok so I now have a two day old chick with a hole under her wing it looks clean but deep. I am not sure what I can put on it, i have Aureomycin powder but not sure how much to use with a baby chick. Also not sure what to put on the wound. looking for any assistance. Thanks Redwing

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Thats how i got one of my girls, i put neosporin on it, it was her shoulder, the vet also recomended antibiotics if it got infected- keep a close eye on it- my girl is happily laying a year later. Also, does she have a chick friend? if not you might give her a mirror and stuffed animal unless you can get a buddy for her- pics would help too

3. RedwingII

RedwingII New Egg

Jan 23, 2009
    [​IMG] Thanks, I will put that on it. She is the only chick at this time. do you think anyone walks away knowing that the chick will be pecked to death?? I just don't get it why people think it's ok. I have 11 chickens , 2 goats , 4 cats, 3 dogs and 2 horses and now one chick. Thanks again for you assistance

4. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Buy a buddy for her. Chickens are flock animals. They are social creatures and their well-being depends upon the group. A single chick is very lonely and stressed, doesn't eat and drink as well, and doesn't stay warm because no one there to cuddle up with.

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i agree, she needs a buddy. I will go into the feed stores and look for stressed or injured chicks, sometimes i can save them, one from this year had her leg caught in the wire, so of course she came home- the worst i've seen is at tsc farm store- breaks my heart, some folks just are clueless- keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by