Pecked Eggs- all breeds

dianforbes1

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2021
Hello, I have 6 mixed breed hens- no roosters. Most recently, all their eggs have been pecked into in their laying nests. They have not done this before. Also, they are free-range in my one-acre yard/property. The only 'NEW' thing in their daily routine is a neighboring rooster who has joined them, while he has his own property.

What should I do? I have caught him sexing my hens, but not caught him 'red-handed' pecking their eggs?!

Thanks!

This could be a difficult problem to solve. If I was you, I would start by keeping your hens confined for a few days and not letting them free range. If the eggs are still pecked, then you will know that it is one of your hens doing it. If so, it's possible that better nutrition will solve the problem. Hens need a feed with at least 16% protein and if the feed isn't supplemented with calcium, then they will need a free choice dish of oyster shells or some other source of protein.

If the eggs are not pecked when your hens are confined, you'll know that something outside the coop is causing the problem. It could be any number of critters doing it. I had this problem years ago, and the problem was bluejays flying into the coop and pecking the eggs. So it's not necessarily the rooster. But if you think it is, ask the neighbors to keep him off your property. They are responsible for his care and also responsible for any damage he causes on your property.

Do you provide oyster shells as a free choice?
How many nesting boxes do you have an how many chickens you have?
Yes, typically I have oyster shells am out now- but grind their shells up and put them into other feed. I have 5 nesting boxes and 6 hens. They seem to only like 2 of the nesting boxes, I have even put marble egg and golf balls in other beds to encourage-

This could be a difficult problem to solve. If I was you, I would start by keeping your hens confined for a few days and not letting them free range. If the eggs are still pecked, then you will know that it is one of your hens doing it. If so, it's possible that better nutrition will solve the problem. Hens need a feed with at least 16% protein and if the feed isn't supplemented with calcium, then they will need a free choice dish of oyster shells or some other source of protein.

If the eggs are not pecked when your hens are confined, you'll know that something outside the coop is causing the problem. It could be any number of critters doing it. I had this problem years ago, and the problem was bluejays flying into the coop and pecking the eggs. So it's not necessarily the rooster. But if you think it is, ask the neighbors to keep him off your property. They are responsible for his care and also responsible for any damage he causes on your property.
All good advice Jed-- thank you! I give them 2 different feeds- scratch and crumble and food scraps- they love spaghetti! who doesn't?! I will buy some more oyster shells today. Thanks for your great response- and yes it could be pesky blue jays or crows- we have many here. I do grind up their eggshells and mix with other feed every other day or so.

Back
Top Bottom