Pecked feathers on neck

sunleacreations

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Maryland
A few days ago I noticed dirt about halfway up one goose neck. (Not sure if its a goose or gander. There is supposed to be 1 male and 3 females but I'm Just going by what I was told) anyway this morning that spot was missing feathers and there was a little dried blood. Just wondering if its from them breeding or are they fighting and what can I put on it to help it heal and keep it from getting worse.

Last edited:
My goose never lost any feathers from mating, but the ganders lose some neck feathers and get their tail feathers crunched.

My guys don't fight, but they will reach out and bite a neck feather. They are getting dominance worked out some how without actually doing battle, but they both end up looking a bit bedraggled.

thanks. I've seen then bite eachothers "shoulders" and flap at each other but never do any damage, this is the spot about the size of a silver dollar and it is pecked raw. There doesn't seem to be any skin torn so I'm guessing the little bit of blood came from the feathers, i just don't know what can be used on geese to help it heal and is also safe in case the others peck at him/her and end up eating some of it. i was thinking of putting neosporin or silvidin(used in hospitals for burn victims)on it and wrapping it with some gauze so its blends with their feather and to keep them from pecking at it more. I think it bothers me more then the goose. lol

thanks. I've seen then bite eachothers "shoulders" and flap at each other but never do any damage, this is the spot about the size of a silver dollar and it is pecked raw. There doesn't seem to be any skin torn so I'm guessing the little bit of blood came from the feathers, i just don't know what can be used on geese to help it heal and is also safe in case the others peck at him/her and end up eating some of it. i was thinking of putting neosporin or silvidin(used in hospitals for burn victims)on it and wrapping it with some gauze so its blends with their feather and to keep them from pecking at it more. I think it bothers me more then the goose. lol
Theres a product called Vetericyn thats for wounds and infection that would be safe to use.. I got it at TSC it comes in a spray.

It's not uncommon for a gander to pull out feathers while breeding. I see bare spots on some of mine every year. Usually this is found right at the base of the head though not halfway down the neck.

Back
Top Bottom