Pecked in the eye by a chicken??

It's actually somewhat comforting to hear that I'm not the only one who has had this experience, and let me tell you, it's one I don't want to experience again. At the moment, my family has chicks, and I am in charge of looking after 10 adorable, little, 3 month year old chicks. Now, they are bigger, of course, but I still consider them small. Well, they are very cheeky little things, and whenever I go to open them, they are very impatient for me to let them out to their main cage. So just imagine me at their door, trying desperately to hold back 10 little chicks to escape. But of course, some did manage to get out. As I went to grab the last chick who had escaped, I made the wrong decision to take the chick close to me, and with a sudden peak, the little one went straight for my eye. That was not fun. Already, my eye was watering, and I was expressing my shock, but I still managed to grab the chick and open the rest of the chickens. Quickly, I rushed inside to see the damage. I saw no disable damage anywhere, but my left eye's vision became blurry. I washed my eye out straight away, but it continued to stay blurry. I'm rather young, so instinctively, I panicked. For the whole day, my vision was part blurry, and I was reacting to outlines with light, as they 'stood out.' I was already considering to see an optometrist if things didn't mend in the morning. I went to sleep very early, and rested my eye. In the morning as I awoke, I was expecting the worst, but to my delight, my eye was back to normal. I could see clearly, and no blurriness was visable. But did it teach me a lesson! Don't put curious chicks near your eye, and appreciate your eyes. Besides, you only ever have two! Here's the little troublemaker who gave me a fright! Of course, I forgave the little sweetie. :)

Yes. Twice and by the same chicken. First time I went to the eye doc and they checked the depth of the scratch and got a prescription for anti-biotic drops. Good thing I didn't toss it afterwards because it happened again in the other eye a month after the first one. Not going to let that chicken jump on my shoulder again. First two days I could feel the scratch in my eye like it was a torn contact. It was completely healed after about 4 days. I think I'll skip the doc this time and just use the drops.

Just today I was pecked in the eye, after so much effort to get my girls to be friendly...they took to climbing on my shoulders and I thought it was cute until *whop* right in the eye...a light little peck....thankfully inner corner.
Starting tomorrow, no more shoulder climbing. Friendly chickens are good, keeping my eyes is more important. Love spending time with my girls though= chicken therapy:)

A cautionary tale: Just because it seems that your 3-month-old chick is interested in checking out your Facebook feed does not mean that she's not getting ready to peck you right in your eyeball!

Wish I had read all these posts before this happened. This is my first experience with chickens, my flock of 15 3-month-old girls. I handle them every day, and I'm pretty sure most of them like me. Sweetie-pie is my favorite, so I was not expecting an eye peck. But I'm learning that chickens have different customs and ways of thinking than we do. Just because she pecked my eye does not mean that she has negative feelings towards me. Somehow, she did not know that that would hurt me or be unwelcomed by me! Don't know how that works exactly, but I didn't take it personally. And I learned my lesson!

And five days later, my eye is almost back to normal. My boyfriend looked at my eyeball with a lighted magnifying glass. I have a very small bubble sticking up in the white outer skin of my eyeball, but it's not punctured, and it smooths down a bit more every day. I'm up to date on my tetanus shots, so I feel comfortable just holding off and not going to the doctor (since I have no medical insurance), and allowing it to heal on its own, which it seems to be doing nicely. :)

Attachments

• ChickenEyeballPeck.jpg
    ChickenEyeballPeck.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 20
Like three minutes ago I got pecked in the eye by a turkey. She was hanging out around my face and making noises like she felt threatened. She got close to my eye so I closed but she pecked anyway-got me through the eye-lid. We looked at it and couldn't find any scratches or anything but it still hurts and the entire right side of my vision is a little foggy. Any advice?

Like three minutes ago I got pecked in the eye by a turkey. She was hanging out around my face and making noises like she felt threatened. She got close to my eye so I closed but she pecked anyway-got me through the eye-lid. We looked at it and couldn't find any scratches or anything but it still hurts and the entire right side of my vision is a little foggy. Any advice?
@Nicole Taber go have it looked at asap.
It's been almost an hour since you posted,
so hopefully you're already on the way to the med center.

I've been pecked once in each eye. The first time meant a scratched cornea and antibiotic ointment for the eye. The 2nd time wasn't so bad, but it's not something I want to repeat again. People always think it's so cute when chicks sit on your shoulder, and it is for a couple of weeks. Then they get big and curious and can really, really do some damage.
I know this is an old post, but that's exactly what happened to me today! Awe. what a sweet boy. then wham! Definitely.not so cute anymore! I'm glad this thread is here, I feel a lot better. Thanks y'all.

Have you ever got pecked in the eye by a chicken??? Hahaha just curious.
Yep. I was checking them for mites and not watching how close I got my face to her beak so it was my fault. The guy at the walk-in clinic was way more upset and worried than I was, which kind of freaked me out where I hadn't been before! He sent me to the ER, but it was just a scratch on my cornea and I was fine.

Back
Top Bottom