Pecked In The Eyeball

My nephew had his son over this summer. The kid is 15 but literally act like he's 8...no joke. Anyway, he was seeing my girl for the first time and he was laying on the ground. I told him several times that he should really get up. I leave you to guess if he listened. Then one of my Rhodies was next to him and peered around and BAM...pecked him in the corner of the eye. No harm done but he squealed for a while.

I really believe that chickens peck eyes simply because of the shiny, blinking movement. I also think a lot of pecks are curiosity pecks. I just started raising chickens this spring and I have been amazed at how curious they are. They don't have hands or fingers so the only way they can 'feel' something is to peck it. Unfortunately their beaks are hard and sharp and they peck hard but I really believe most pecks - even painful ones are "ooohh...what's that shiny things!?" or "Can I eat this?" pecks. IMO on the rare occasions when they're ticked and want to hurt you...you know it!

yea must've been curiosity, she did kind of examine my face a bit before she pecked. i have felt the angry pecks from my bantam brahma whilst getting her out of the nest when she was broody they were a bit harder than the feeding sunflower seeds out of hand pecks she was an angry chicken that day
D.gif

Always glad I have glasses on when they are that close. My son got pecked a few months ago, made me I'll, he screamed holding his eye - he was 5 at the time. However, he was holding a bantam looking at it's face and they get curious. Now he is more careful -- and wears sunglasses to give cuddle to his favorite bantam. my DH and I had been warning him about the eye thing but like most things w kids experience teaches best.

Oh and learned that as a sloppy painter, it would be best to wash up after I paint before visiting the coop. I thought they were super interested in me one day, they had bobble head action going on as I changed water, fed them, then I realized they were checking out the numerous paint flecks on my skin. They can certainly put a peck on when they want!
ep.gif

lol i always wear flip flops, i like to wiggle my toes and have em peck at em
smile.png
its cute

Heads up chicken people, if you don't normally wear glasses - wear safety glasses around chickens. Nobody needs to lose eyesight or an eyeball. Innocent curiousity doesn't make the damage less permanent. Corneal injuries, even the most minor, hurt alot more than you'd think a tiny injury should feel. After a few rush visits to the eye doctor, I think I realize how important it is to protect your vision.

My son can't get near one of our hens without her going nuts for his toes. She never bothers me, but those little toes look so yummy.
lol.png
Think I sould paint them when he's sleeping to see what she does.
lau.gif
Too bad it's getting so cold now and he's back at school so no sandled fetties running around.

This happened to my friend and she thought she would be okay but it tore her cornea and it healed back wrong with scar tissue. She had to have surgery to remove the scar tissue and may still have to have additional surgeries. I never put my chickens close to my face and don't allow my children to either.

I have to watch when I am holding my chickens... I have three moles on my face, I have the Cindy Crawford lip mole and one below my lower lip. The third isn't so big, but the three make a triangle on my face. Yep, those girls love to see if they are good enough to eat.

Back
Top Bottom