Pecked on pullets roosting in the nesting box

Alhickman

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2020
Des Moines, Iowa
I have 4 hens, approximately 18 weeks old, and 2 Brahma hens approx 13 weeks old. They have all been in the same coop/run for about a month, but the youngin's are still be picked on. If they leave the coop, one of the big girls will guard the ladder until just before the automatic door goes down so they can't get in, so they spend 80% of their time inside the coop (4' x 8'). They do not roost with the big girls, but instead have taken up residence in the nesting box, just pooping away every night. Any recommendations? Should I block off the nesting box so the littles will need to take up residence elsewhere? Do I let it be? How do I stop the guard chickens behavior? This is my first summer tending flock...

I agree, pictures would help. And I would block the nest boxes. Once they get used to sleeping in there it can become a hard habit to break.

I don’t have a photo of inside the nesting box on my phone and it was still dark when I left for work if that’s what you’re needing. Basically it’s 2 plastic tubs with a divider. I’ll take recommendations. And will block them off today!

Attachments

• 81566D98-7A8F-4FB4-B45C-BFA73FCAA66C.jpeg
    81566D98-7A8F-4FB4-B45C-BFA73FCAA66C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • D699F7E1-2865-4CEB-A2AF-6BC02038162A.jpeg
    D699F7E1-2865-4CEB-A2AF-6BC02038162A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 6F4E9F07-8562-43DE-AB18-2CAEE4E47A9B.jpeg
    6F4E9F07-8562-43DE-AB18-2CAEE4E47A9B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 363C5E23-9E4E-4DFF-BCCD-0B9CEE19C7B3.jpeg
    363C5E23-9E4E-4DFF-BCCD-0B9CEE19C7B3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Looks like a decent size coop for number of birds. Hope you can get a photo of roosts (or draw a scale diagram with where roost(s) is placed) - is it one roost or multiple roosts? For time being continue to block off nests after dark.

As far as the pullets being afraid to come out during the day, the run area looks pretty bare... adding clutter: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/ will help provide hiding spots so the younger birds can get relief from being harassed, and to help keep the flock occupied to hopefully lessen any pecking problems in general.

Looks like a decent size coop for number of birds. Hope you can get a photo of roosts (or draw a scale diagram with where roost(s) is placed) - is it one roost or multiple roosts? For time being continue to block off nests after dark.

As far as the pullets being afraid to come out during the day, the run area looks pretty bare... adding clutter: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/ will help provide hiding spots so the younger birds can get relief from being harassed, and to help keep the flock occupied to hopefully lessen any pecking problems in general.

Thank you for the reply and the link! I have been pondering on what else do put in there, there's a step stool and a crate, but those are all great ideas.

Inside the coop currently are roosting bars running on both ends, but I am having a roosting ladder with poop catcher built and should be in next week.

I did block off the nesting box and will continue that until the new roosting ladder is installed.

Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom