Pecked pullet...Anything else I can do?

jzarabs

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 28, 2009
So I decided to try and introduce my younger birds (approx. 3mth) with my older (6mth) hens. I watched them for quite a while, and there was some mild pecking order pecking, but overall, not bad. We left for maybe an hour and a half and I came home to one of the younger girls crammed in a corner with all 4 hens pecking her! Crap!
sad.png

So after quickly putting the little girls up and away, we sub-divided the yard, and put them back in the wire crate set up. Then I dealt with her injuries, I cleaned them with Chlorhex scrub and solution and then applied a topical ointment for animals to the bare and exposed areas.
Today the skin looks good, she got a BUNCH of dirt in some of the wounds but no bloody spots and no flys, thank god! While cleaning and reapplying the ointment, she shared her opinion of the whole thing via a poop that concerns me a little, some partially digested and some whole food (layer) pellets, and the liquid was clear/watery....
It isn't that hot out today so I don't think it's heat related, I'm worried it's something to do with her trauma...
She seems to be ok otherwise, the two of them huddle in the farthest corner away from the big birds, I haven't seen her eat or drink but they did eat some bits of lettuce I threw them yesterday (a daily treat for all) and the scratch I tossed in this morning they went after as well.
In Hindsight, I realize that they are just too small yet to be added to the main flock, but I was trying to make room for the chicks I'll be adding soon, luckily I have another dog crate I can put into use for the newbies
smile.png

Here's a link to some pics: http://s772.photobucket.com/albums/yy9/jzarabs/chicks/
Sorry
I couldn't get a clearer image of the wounded area, but it really does appear to be in good shape...

Sounds like everything will be fine, I'd just keep the wounds as clean as you can which is what you're doing. As far as the poop, keep an eye on it, it could be stress, but if it doesn't normalize, you may need to look for another cause.

Thanks, I figured I was over-reacting a bit
smile.png
She seems to be doing well, I gave her some yogurt and cottage cheese with some mixed veggies for a treat last night, hoping that might help normalize the stools if its stress. Couldn't check under their roost this am to see how things looked over night, but I will later today.

Back
Top Bottom