Pecked Pullet

Quote:
I did some research when my littlest chicken was getting picked on. In my search at least, more people got better results with the pine tar than the blu-kote. Alot of what I read said blu-kote simply didn't work.
Pine tar is smelly and very sticky, but it works.
If you have to apply it to their head, just be sure that you don't glob it on so that it runs in their eyes.

Quote:
that was my thought as well, but introducing a single hen to a new flock has similar dangers (getting beaten up). Consider rehoming her with someone with a younger group- so she is larger than them.

Forgive me, because I'm new. I can't figure out how to post an original post/question. So, I am piggy-backing off this similar question. Please help!

I have been a lurker here for a few months, reading and learning from all of you knowledgable chicken lovers. I recently (in September) got my first flock of chicks as day olds. I ordered all hens, and ended up with 8 hens and 1 rooster. I am absolutely in love with all of my chickies and swore that I would keep my rooster as long as he was nice to all my hens.

Now at almost 20 weeks, they are nearing egg laying age. I have had no problems up to this point- all my chickies seem to get along marvelously. I am just finishing up the last of my bag of Start and Grow, and supplement them daily with fresh veggies, grains, etc. They live in an 8X8 coop, with an attached run that is also 8X8. With the recent snow, they have not been free ranging beyond their covered run. The last three days, they have not wanted to venture out at all, except for a few brave ones who look to see what goodies I've placed in their treat bowl.

In the last day and a half, my smallest hen, a black and white crested polish, has been getting her feathers picked pretty badly. In the past, I've seen the rooster pick at a feather or two here and there, but never bad. Well, yesterday morning, she was completely bald in the back and very pink, but no blood drawn. I looked back at other posts on this subject, and tried the Blue Kote as suggested. I witnessed not only the rooster, but 2 other hens, pick at her as well (even with the Blue Kote). So, I cleaned her back up, and applied pine tar, again as suggested. It's been over 24 hours and there doesn't appear to be any new pecked spots. Nothing looks raw or more bald. So, do I keep applying pine tar daily to ward the others off? I did get them to go out today after spreading straw out in their run and hiding a bunch of nuts and sunflower seeds in it. I was hoping if they kept busy, they'd leave her alone.

If they start back up, I will separate her. I just want to know if I'm doing the right things.

Thank you in advance for your advice and help. Happy Holidays!

Okay, first things first...welcome to BYC!
To submit your own thread, start with the category that most closely matches your problem or comment. Click on that category. At the top right hand side of your page you'll see a yellow button that says 'post new topic'. The button looks just like the one you click to add a comment to another thread. Note: You won't see the post new topic button if you are already on someone else's thread (such as this one).
When you click on that you'll be automatically taken to a page where you'll see a blank subject line - try to be as specific as possible in composing a sentence to describe your problem to get the most views.
After the subject line you'll see a blank box titled 'message'. Compose your message there.
Below that you can click the preview button to see how your message will appear (recommended you do this step). After it all looks good, just click the submit button.

Now for the pine tar - yes, keep applying it as often as necessary to keep her wound covered. They'll need to get a good taste of it to decide it's not a good idea to peck her anymore.
If they bloody her at all, immediately seperate her.
You're doing the right thing by trying to occupy their little minds with other things.
Good luck!

Last edited:
You might do a little chicken-vestigation. Do they all peck or just one or two mainly? I've been working on this problem as well. I've tried many things. Maybe once they get the taste it makes it really hard to stop. I currently have chicken blinders ordered. I'm hoping that will finally put a stop to it. I believe it to be a behavior that quickly spreads through a flock. If it's just a couple, removing them from the flock might work better than removing each victim. Of course, once the chicken is bloody she has to be removed for at least a few days. Bored, cramped or nutritional deficiency are the biggest reasons for pecking.

Hope you get this resolved quickly.

Last edited:
Thank you two for the advice. I guess for now, I'll continue to treat her as I have been. And, in the meantime, I'll try to convince all the chickies to head outside, even in the cold weather. Hopefully if they stay busy, they won't get bored and turn to pecking.

But, now how long do I keep applying the pine tar? And can her feathers grow back with all that gunk on her head?

How do chicken blinders work? Thanks again!

Quote:
Yes, keep applying the pine tar until she is at least almost completely healed. It won't affect feather re-growth. Keep in mind if the feather is completely lost shaft and all it will start to grow back immediately. If the feather is only damaged, but the shaft is intact, it won't grow back until the chicken moults.
Yes! by all means encourage them to be outside. My chickens are a winter hardy breed and they've been out no matter the weather. The door is open to their coop all day and they have the option of going in, but prefer being out.

Here's a picture of chicken blinders:

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-47162501710

Personally, this would only be a last resort. When I ordered them, I was told the plastic pin goes through the nostrils. He said it may make a little drop of blood. However, I have a couple of hens that will kill the other hens so I believe a drop of blood in remembrance of the ones they have killed is not too much of a sentence.

I have written about my trials of stopping the pecking. Here a link to see what all I have done.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=113424&p=1

I'm installing the chicken blinders right after I finish here. I'll let you know more about it later.

Back
Top Bottom