1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pecked Turkey

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ArizonaNessa, Nov 11, 2009.

1. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    One of my turkey girls got into it with a RIR hen. My turkey's little snood thingy on her nose is all swollen now. Should I just watch it for a while or should I try to put something on it. She is acting just fine but her little snood thing is about as big around as my pinky finger. It''s not bleeding or anything just swollen. She let's me touch it though so I don't really know if it is hurting her. [​IMG]

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I would clean it up like a wound -- perhaps wash with saline solution then dip in betadine mixture? Others will have better wound care than I. And make sure the hen can't get to her until it's totally healed or she'll pick at the snood more.

3. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I washed it and it made a little scab. No one is bothering her now. I guess I will watch it and make sure it don't look infected. Can you put neosporin on a turkey? I know I can't use anything with pain reliever in it but maybe an ointment?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by