Pecking at beards?

Ricchan

Chirping
Jun 21, 2022
One of my hens (Butter) keeps picking at the face of the newer hen (Milk) and I'm not sure if this is dominance behavior or if it's her preening the newcomer? Do chickens preen each other like song birds? Milk just freezes while Butter picks at her beard. I've also caught Butter pecking at the beard of her hen mate (Toast) and Toast is missing feathers so I'm not sure what is going on. Butter and Toast came as a pair so they're already familiar with each other. Toast also came to me with missing feathers already and I don't see any mites on her. All the other hens are fully floof so I think Butter may be yanking off Toast's feathers. The last twist is Milk's mate Coffee, also is bearded but I don't see Butter picking at her beard. Any idea what's going on with my chickens?

Edit: Butter and Toast don't really attack Coffee or Milk, they've been in the same pen for 2 weeks now and I only occasionally see Butter and Toast peck a few times, more so right before bed when Milk/Coffee tries to steal their roost spot. so that's deserved in my opinion hah.

Attachments

• 20220624_192901.jpg
    20220624_192901.jpg
    663.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220619_195815.jpg
    20220619_195815.jpg
    815.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220625_185112.jpg
    20220625_185112.jpg
    685.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220625_170109.jpg
    20220625_170109.jpg
    952.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220624_193842.jpg
    20220624_193842.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
What you're describing is birds preening each other, which isn't uncommon when you have bearded birds. They get food bits caught more easily in those feathers. Some of my bearded birds get completely picked clean of feathers as soon as they grow in.

All my EE (3) are beardless now. I have 2 Andalusians that have picked every single beard feather from them and the neck feathers from my 2 wellies, these poor hens look like necked necks now. I'm pretty tempted to move them to a coop by themselves (the feather pickers) but the only thing that stops me is that they are 8 years old and consistently laying 3 or 4 eggs a week so moving them might upset their laying. I. Do believe is a dominant thing since I know they are not crowded nor stressed and have plenty of extra protein in their diet. Little devils are driving me nuts.

All my EE (3) are beardless now. I have 2 Andalusians that have picked every single beard feather from them and the neck feathers from my 2 wellies, these poor hens look like necked necks now. I'm pretty tempted to move them to a coop by themselves (the feather pickers) but the only thing that stops me is that they are 8 years old and consistently laying 3 or 4 eggs a week so moving them might upset their laying. I. Do believe is a dominant thing since I know they are not crowded nor stressed and have plenty of extra protein in their diet. Little devils are driving me nuts.
I only have one area to keep my hens so I sure hope mine don't end up beardless haha. I haven't seen any of their feathers come off but I'm keeping an eye on it. Might need to get those pin-less peepers

Beards are delicious, that is the only answer.
These guys have tons of space, food literally at every stinking turn but given the chance they'll eat a beard and not even blink.
I really wish they wouldn't, my hens don't have the strongest of chins.
It looks awful, feathered everything so pretty and poofy then BLAM...not for the faint of heart for dang sure.🤣

Beards are delicious, that is the only answer.
These guys have tons of space, food literally at every stinking turn but given the chance they'll eat a beard and not even blink.
I really wish they wouldn't, my hens don't have the strongest of chins.
It looks awful, feathered everything so pretty and poofy then BLAM...not for the faint of heart for dang sure.🤣
I'm going to need some pictures of these weak-chinned-birds, for science of course. 🤣 🤣

Back
Top Bottom