Pecking at eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by reecey92, Jan 17, 2009.

1. reecey92

reecey92 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    hi

I've had my first 3 chickens for 2 weeks now... and instead of dumby eggs, i have hollowed out some eggs and filled them with sand.

yesterday morning i noticed that one of the eggs had been broken and moved from its place...

is this a problem?

and ALSO...

what age do chickens stop laying?

and is there any way to tell the age of the chicken?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Hi reecey92, [​IMG]

I am not the pro to answer your questions, but trust me, one will be along soon! Folks here are incredibly generous with their knowledge!

The broken egg is not really a problem- the sand isn't 3D, so someone probably stepped on it, when moving around, hitting the hollow part. Just remove it.

There is most likely a way to judge chicken age, but I am not so good at it- I go by lays or doesn't lay. Most chickens lay until 2-5 years, but I have one who is 9 years old and still lays every day! She is quite a hen!

Where did your chickens come from, what did they say about them? And BTW, if you look top right on the page, there is a great SEARCH button, which gives you access to a ton of chicken information!

Have fun here, and there is no such thing as a dumb question, so ask away! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by