Pecking behavior in brand new chick?

talkingriver

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 22, 2010
Connecticut
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, everyone. This is my 2nd year with chickens, but my first time raising some of my own, and I'd appreciate anyone's input here. I brought eight new chicks home yesterday, and noticed very soon that one of them has adopted pecking the others' beaks and faces as a full time job. They take it until she gets to their eyes, and then startle and get out of the way. Then she goes to another one. It doesn't look so much aggressive as obsessive! They are light pecks and nobody is getting hurt, but should I watch out for this behavior? They have clean feed and water, obviously, and nobody seems too cold or too hot, or otherwise uncomfortable. Is this just a personality trait, a baby determined to be on top of the flock?

Thanks, anyone, for opinions.

One of mine did that too first day I brought them home. In a few days time she stopped. Maybe there just playing around. The funny thing is the pecking one is turning out to be the smallest..

Haha, yep! What i would do if it continues is put her in a small separate brooder for a day if there turns out to be actual harm being done to the other chicks
smile.png

Well, that answered my question too, an aggressive little baby. I grabbed him/her, separated from the group by carrying it around. Let it play on my laptop, pecking keys while I was typing. When I put him back after lots of handling, he/she was subdued.

Wow, how old was your chick? Were you concerned it would leap off the table? They scoot around so fast. And ok to take it out from under the lamp for a bit? Thanks.

My hands are 98.6 degrees and my computer overheats, so figured it was okay to take it away from the heat for a while. He/she, the aggressive one trying to poke eyes out is subdued now. I guess it worked. I almost feel sorry for him. The others seem to be ostracizing him. I am new to this too and didn't expect such a drastic response.. I hope he will be able to get back into the group, but not as a leader. The new leader is a tan one that rules by poking out chest and pushing his/her way through, not by trying to peck out the eyes of the others.
~Bobbi

Chicks are only 3 days old.

Last edited:
I wasn't concerned about leaping off the table because I had my laptop on the floor. No where to fall. I figured if I was laying on the floor with him, he'd be more comfortable, so just moved the laptop to the floor.

You should place them in another bin or tub/coop. You don't want it to get too obsessive. I think that's why at Tractor Supply they had only a few separated from their own breed.

Back
Top Bottom