Pecking/Cannibalism! HELP! *photos of injuries*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by baileyvivian, Mar 13, 2013.

1. baileyvivian

baileyvivian Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    Today I walked into my coop and to my horror I saw my older, bigger hens eating the entrails and carcass of my 3-4 month old silver laced wyanndotte pullet. I have 30 hens in a 12 by 12 coop with roosts over a "shelf" so there is lots of room and many places for weaker and smaller chickens to hide. Also it is the middle of winter and there is 3 feet of snow in there run so they haven't been outside since fall. I have never had a problem with this! What causes cannibalism? Are the bored? Are they to squished? I can always put some hens in the summer coop with some heat lamps. Really I just want to cry!

Thank god I walked in then though, I have another 4 3-4 month old silver laced wyanndottes and one had her vent/tail area pecked really badly. Again I have never seen something like this before and I don't know what to do. I have her in my house in a box with food and water. She has been eating and drinking so that's a plus. But what do I do? How do I treat her?

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    hello get your self some blue kote. It is a blue color so others wont pick the rosy red spot and it is an antiseptic. Also you could use pine tar. I would keep her separated until she gains strength.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by