Pecking injury...

I guess Popcorn is one of my layers😊 Pictures are before I put neosporin on again this morning. I think its looking good, don't you? How many times should I be putting the neosporin on? And should I flush it out between? I did see her eating and drinking too. Hopefully my patient heals soon! Will check the coop later for any spots she might have gotten tangled on. My hubby says it looks sorta like she got her feathers caught somewhere and panicked and ripped herself free. Coop windows and run are completely covered in quarter inch hardware so I really don't think someone could reach their grubby hands through. But I'll check it all over anyways. Sorry the pictures are blurry, my son took them

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_105352600.jpg
    IMG_20210213_105352600.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210213_105518755.jpg
    IMG_20210213_105518755.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210213_105515409.jpg
    IMG_20210213_105515409.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 11
How many times should I be putting the neosporin on? And should I flush it out between?
Just keep it moist. Yes, flush before adding more ointment.
Might want to remove any feathers that might get stuck in wound.
Watch for signs of infection, just like you would on your own skin.
Bruising might show up, will look green.

Just keep it moist. Yes, flush before adding more ointment.
Might want to remove any feathers that might get stuck in wound.
Watch for signs of infection, just like you would on your own skin.
Bruising might show up, will look green.
Thanks, will do!

I guess Popcorn is one of my layers😊 Pictures are before I put neosporin on again this morning. I think its looking good, don't you? How many times should I be putting the neosporin on? And should I flush it out between? I did see her eating and drinking too. Hopefully my patient heals soon! Will check the coop later for any spots she might have gotten tangled on. My hubby says it looks sorta like she got her feathers caught somewhere and panicked and ripped herself free. Coop windows and run are completely covered in quarter inch hardware so I really don't think someone could reach their grubby hands through. But I'll check it all over anyways. Sorry the pictures are blurry, my son took them
I think it looks pretty good.
I would flush as needed to keep it clean, then keep it moist with the Neosporin.

Nice egg! See...she was saving that blankie for a nest - didn't want to get it dirty overnight:)

I think it looks pretty good.
I would flush as needed to keep it clean, then keep it moist with the Neosporin.

Nice egg! See...she was saving that blankie for a nest - didn't want to get it dirty overnight:)
She must have been! I didn't expect my brahmas to lay this winter, guess they didn't want to be left behind!

You have got to be kidding me!! Now another one has the same wounds, same spot! Only difference is she has it on both thighs! I noticed her when I was checking for anywhere the first one could have gotten injured. This pretty much confirms a pecking problem, right? This is Cinnamon, a pearl star leghorn. Same age as Popcorn, and I know Cinnamon has been laying because I got 6 eggs today for 6 pullets. Ugh, this is really frustrating! The wounds are right where their wings end, on their body. Right at the thighs. I did the same thing wih Cinnamon. Flushed it with warm water, appled Bennixx then neosporin. Put her down in my basement with Popcorn. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to eliminate this problem? Hubby did put a Wyze cam out in the coop, so I can keep an eye on them, maybe catch the bully. Pictures of Cinnamon are attached, remember, she has it on both sides.

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_180311174_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20210213_180311174_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210213_180311174_BURST002.jpg
    IMG_20210213_180311174_BURST002.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210213_180347686.jpg
    IMG_20210213_180347686.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210213_180350061.jpg
    IMG_20210213_180350061.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 14
A little history in case it helps... I have six pullets, 2 black sex links, 2 light brahmas and 2 pearl star leghorns. Coop is 5x6 and about five feet high. Run is attached and is at least 5x12 and walk in. They have lots of roosts inside and the nesting boxes are on the outside, same with the food. The food is in a pvc tube running on the outside of the coop going in. The water is a heated horizontal nipple bucket. All six chickens were chicks together and raised together. I have a closed flock and no roosters. Just trying to think of anything that might help

Oh No! :(
I would assume you have 1 picking at them, but it's possible you may have 2-3.
Are the birds sheltering inside the coop due to weather or are they going out into the run?
Location makes me think it's being done while on roosting bars, but that's just my mind thinking about how birds peck at one another.

Glad you have the Cam up -hopefully you can see interactions and figure out more.

No issues with rodents by chance?

Oh No! :(
I would assume you have 1 picking at them, but it's possible you may have 2-3.
Are the birds sheltering inside the coop due to weather or are they going out into the run?
Location makes me think it's being done while on roosting bars, but that's just my mind thinking about how birds peck at one another.

Glad you have the Cam up -hopefully you can see interactions and figure out more.

No issues with rodents by chance?

They have been sheltering in the coop for about a week because there is snow in the run and they don't like walking on the snow. I did throw some treats in the run and they have been out since. It does look like they got pecked while perching. No issues at all with rodents

They have been sheltering in the coop for about a week because there is snow in the run and they don't like walking on the snow. I did throw some treats in the run and they have been out since. It does look like they got pecked while perching. No issues at all with rodents
Is adding some straw on top of the snow an option? They may go out if they have a barrier/protection for their feet.

Back
Top Bottom