Pecking injury...

Pics
It's odd that two of them are picking at themselves like that.
I would be inclined to treat them for mites/lice even though you don't see any.

Your best bet to deter picking may be pine tar.
What do you recommend to treat the mites/lice with? Permethrin? And the pine tar, can I get that at TSC and is it just applied over the wound?

I'm sorry to be a pain @Wyorp Rock but I have another question. Do you think it's ok to spray the girls with mite treatment even though it's so cold out? Currently, it is 6°F and won't get much warmer, maybe only in the 20's during the day. And can I use both the mite treatment and pine tar at the same time? Thank you for hanging in there with me through all this!

I'm sorry to be a pain @Wyorp Rock but I have another question. Do you think it's ok to spray the girls with mite treatment even though it's so cold out? Currently, it is 6°F and won't get much warmer, maybe only in the 20's during the day. And can I use both the mite treatment and pine tar at the same time? Thank you for hanging in there with me through all this!

Oh now you done gone and did it...you've gone over the max allowable questions you can ask in your own thread...😜

I agree with @aart If using a Permethrin product, I would use dust in winter/for the temps that you have.
If you were going to use something like Ivermectin Pour On which is a small amount of liquid I would still use that in winter or any time of the year.

There shouldn't be any issues with treating for mites and using the Pine Tar.

Went to Rural King and bought these. Hope it's the right stuff. Will treat them all in a minute

Attachments

• IMG_20210217_143941622.jpg
    IMG_20210217_143941622.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 5
Well, both girls are in their own seperate dog crates now. Hubby borrowed one from a coworker. Popcorn is looking worse. And I can't get neosporin or pine tar to stay on her skin, it keeps sliding off. I'll keep trying. Cinnamon has been treated with the pine tar and looks ok. Both girls laid today. This is all so frustrating! I feel like a horrible chicken owner! If another one gets pecked or wounded, I don't know what I'll do. So far, the four in the coop look ok. I did see them pecking at Popcorn when she was in there, actually pecking at her wound and eating it. Pretty gross actually. That's why we borrowed the second dog crate. I can't trust Cinnamon to leave her alone if they were caged together. If Cinnamon keeps this pecking up, hubby said he would ring her neck. Literally

Hey y'all! This is Popcorn, she has suffered what I assume is a pecking injury on her left thigh. I noticed it today when I went to feed my girls. They have been staying in the coop because their run has snow in it and they hate to walk on snow. Anyways, I brought her inside, flushed the wound out with plain warm water and sprayed Banixx on it. I think it looks pretty clean but is there anything else I should put on it? I wanted to wait to put plain neosporin on it, to see if the other stuff does anything. I can put it on if y'all think I should. She is almost 8 months old, light brahma. I don't think she has started laying yet but I can't be sure, out of six chickens, I get five eggs a day. Her vent looks clean, she is spunky and has lots of energy. I put her in my basement with food and water. Thoughts?
That looks painful! poor girl! She is beautiful by the way :) 🐔 I would see a vet if it is as deep as it looks. She might need stitches. I would apply medicine then put a vet wrap bandage on it

Back
Top Bottom