Pecking Issue

@ChickenCanoe I have just under three acres plus in a very rural area. I would not mind if mine got brought under control. I have invested in a BCS Walk Behind tractor with blower and bush mower for that purpose, maybe I don't need it?

I think they have what they need, usually small amounts are available around the edges. I often feed twice (ie 4 liters) in a day, means left overs in the morning sufficient to, say, 11am. For sure with any amount of free range they will have enough.

I think your setup looks good.
The only thing I might suggest is to look at why you mix the 16% grain with the 22% feed.
Perhaps they are picking out the grain and leaving the higher protein alone. That is just a guess.
This is exactly what I was thinking.

@Kiki I do not mix foods, separate containers, both get eaten about equal portions
I'm just slightly worried about your whole grain type feed.
I'm worried that maybe some of the birds are picking out only certain grains to eat and they're not getting enough protein.

As ISA Browns are specialized hybrids laying almost every day they might be in need of more animal protein and amino acids to have a balanced diet.

You could try feeding them some ground beef with brewers yeast and even real butter.

@Kiki @LaFleche

Something is amiss for sure, I am kicking myself for not catching it sooner.

I am worried about the impact on them in winter. Will they regrow necessary down and feather by December? I will figure out some animal protein, any other supplement to help them regenerate lost feathers?
Don't beat yourself up.
95% chance they will molt in the next few months and be fully feathered by the dead of winter.

Last edited:
@Kiki @LaFleche

Something is amiss for sure, I am kicking myself for not catching it sooner.

I am worried about the impact on them in winter. Will they regrow necessary down and feather by December? I will figure out some animal protein, any other supplement to help them regenerate lost feathers?
I'm too am sure they will regrow feathers before winter.

Back
Top Bottom