KatieG509

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2017
Westminster, Colorado
Hello! We have a 1 year old dark Brahma who was being pecked pretty badly by her flock mates. She has a pretty large bald patch on her back and around her vent. The area near her vent is pretty red, and while applying Vaseline and peck no more today I noticed a hard white lump (see the third image).

Currently we are keeping her separate but visible to to rest of the flock, and letting her roost with them at night. We’re also applying Vaseline and peck no more before she goes in to roost.

Looking for advice on the redness and bump- is it infection? Ingrown feather? Just irritated? How do I treat it?

Also if anyone had advice about what to do about the pecking, I’d appreciate it. I’m pretty sure it is just one other chicken who is doing the pecking. We’ve tried a saddle but they figured out how to get around it.

Attachments

• IMG_2860.jpeg
    IMG_2860.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2861.jpeg
    IMG_2861.jpeg
    1,017.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2859.jpeg
    IMG_2859.jpeg
    568.1 KB · Views: 10
I’m in the same boat as you with a few of my girls. I’ve actually seen one of mine pluck her new feathers that were growing out. 😑 I tried saddles etc. I am at a loss too… I hope someone can give some advice soon. ☺️ Has the peck no more helped you?

What are you feeding your flock? I would recommend either an all flock 20% protein feed, or layer feed plus some extra high protein egg or tuna, as the only food. A lack of protein sometimes is a reason for feather picking. Other possible causes are over crowding, boredom from not getting out to roam, too much light in nest areas, and some breeds just can be more aggressive. Pine tar and Nustock cream are 2 more anti picking creams that may work, due to their bad taste and healing properties.

Back
Top Bottom