Pecking order behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffross1968, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I have 4 youngin's around twelve weeks of age. Over the last week, I've noticed that they are doing this hilarious bit while in the coop...they'll chase each other around a bit, and then stop only an inch from each other, fluff out their feathers, and stand beak to beak, sometimes for a minute! Then they relax, walk around a bit, and repeat, over and over again. Funny to watch. Seems someone will always back down right at the point where a fight might start [​IMG]

2. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    Mine are the same age as yours and have started doing the same thing. This is my first year with chickens, but I think they are establishing the pecking order. I haven't been able to determine exactly who is the head one is yet.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, they are challenging each other to determine who's going to be higher in the pecking order. The first one to back down loses.

4. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

5. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Ok, good. Funny thing to watch. Guess they'll have to go through all this again when they are added to the older flock.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are play fighting, posturing, and preparing for grown up life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by