"Pecking order"? Can I do anything to help?

FLMomRN

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 22, 2013
Florida
I have 2 baby chicks that are just about a week old now. One is a barred rock and one is a buff orpington. They were 3 days old when I purchased them. They were in separate cages at the store but have been together for 4 days now.

Their first night home if I put them down at all they peeped like crazy so they ended up sleeping with me. Now they are fine in their brooder, and if I pick up one and not the other the one left in the brooder screams for her friend. Cute, I thought...they've bonded. All of a sudden today the barred rock is pecking the heck out of the BO's little eyeballs. My poor little BO can't get any rest. I took her out to lay with me here at the computer and of course the barred rock screamed like crazy so I now have them both.

I realize chickens have their pecking order thing, but I got two because I read that just one chicken would be lonely by itself. I can't help but think she'd be better off not having her eyes violently pecked at. I don't want to separate them but it is absolutely horrible watching the little BO being bullied like this. What should I do? Would it have been better had I not mixed breeds?

*edited to add: The two chicks are sharing a brooder I made out of our old playpen, so they have plenty of space, and I have a "red" heating bulb (well, every one labeled "red" that I found is actually orange and puts our yellow light, but I tried anyway).

Thanks.

~Cammie

Last edited:
I am having the same problem with my 2 week old chicks. I put the eye pecker in solitary (her own box) but she is miserable. Every 12 hrs or so I try to integrate her back in but she pecks away, even getting ahold of the other chicks eyelids! I'm going to wait a couple more days and see if I can put her back in with the others.

Gothic farmer, could your pecker be deficient? When we had peckjng I added some spinach and hung a head of broccoli for them to eat. They like playing with the broccoli and both greens are high in calcium which is important. Its also entertaining so there is no boredom pecking.

Back
Top Bottom