Pecking order gone out of control

I have had a dominant hen, Bertha, that has been "mating" with and pecking vent feathers from her flock mates for a while now. I've had my eye on her for the past few weeks. In the mean time, I have increased protein in the flock's diet and added some more roosts and obstacles in the run in case it may be boredom related. I've witnessed other hens beginning to peck feathers and eat them from various members through the last week. This weekend I have noticed that two other of my larger hens, Blondie (BO) and Anna (RIR), have been playing at Bertha's game. No mating yet, but Blondie very nearly crowed while strutting around with her feathers puffed and has been really picking on the runt of the flock. And as for Anna, she's has been dominating on everyone but Bertha. It's getting pretty violent at times. Our runt, Little Girl, is really getting the short end of the stick. I researched a few threads and will be trying Vaselene on Little Girl's wounds this evening. Any suggestions to getting this dominant behavior under control? I'm very inclined to think these two copycats are just following our bully's lead.
But

Back
Top Bottom