Pecking order(I think)

That would be great. I would appreciate more photos and let me know what you find out when you examine her.
I got some more pictures and examined her more closely. Her crop felt fine and wasn't squishy. I couldn't find any signs of lice or any lice themselves. Her poop looked normal however one that I found appeared more watery. When she stood it liked like normal. I hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_2922.jpg
    IMG_2922.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2923.jpg
    IMG_2923.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2924.jpg
    IMG_2924.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2925.jpg
    IMG_2925.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2926.jpg
    IMG_2926.jpg
    818.1 KB · Views: 13
In case this might have effected something, I recently built and automatic feeder for them. It doesn't have enough room for them all to eat at the same time but I assumed that since the food would always be available, it wouldn't be a problem

In case this might have effected something, I recently built and automatic feeder for them. It doesn't have enough room for them all to eat at the same time but I assumed that since the food would always be available, it wouldn't be a problem
She is molting, but can you take a better look at her breast/belly? In the photo it looks a bit red?
Does she always stand like that?
Was she laying normally before she began to molt?
If you have room, I keep her separate for a few days right next to the others in within the coop/run, she does need to be there with them. Have her own food/water.
Do you have poultry vitamins? I would add those to her water or give her a direct dose for a couple of days too.

Birds that are molting can act odd, they don't feel well and draw attention to themselves. New growth (pen feathers) are apparently tasty to others. You mention you feed 20% protein feed, but if you have an auto feeder and they are not eating well, lack of protein, not enough space, boredom, etc. can lead to feather picking as well.

The loss on her back is interesting. Do you have a rooster? Normally I would not associate that pattern of loss in a hen only grouping.

upload_2019-2-13_7-44-6.png

I took a closer look at the reddened skin and here is a picture. And as far as i can tell she stands like that most of the time. Especially when she is looking around

Attachments

• IMG_2928.jpg
    IMG_2928.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 14
As for putting her close to the others, I have to go to school soon and dont have an actual pen right now. Would it be suitable if for just until I get home to just put the box she is in next to the others

I took a closer look at the reddened skin and here is a picture. And as far as i can tell she stands like that most of the time. Especially when she is looking around

As for putting her close to the others, I have to go to school soon and dont have an actual pen right now. Would it be suitable if for just until I get home to just put the box she is in next to the others
Can the others get to her/attack her in the box? Is it "secure"?
If the box is secure, has room for her to move around, she's calm and she can have food/water in there, then it would be o.k. IF not, then I would not use it.

The others would not be able to get to her and she seems happy and calm in it. She just wouldnt be able to really see the others

Back
Top Bottom